Chapter Twelve: 🔥

**Kay**

**Kay**

As Brian's heart beat slowly, having calmed from when he got back home, helped mine. Holding him, I listened to it and closed my eyes. I could stay like this all day.

"The twins are sleeping again," I whispered. "I think we'll be okay."

Brian slid his arms around me before rubbing my shoulders. With one finger, he lifted my chin, and I focused on his golden eyes. They searched mine. His jaw clenched as his hand slid down my back again. "Are you okay?" he asked softly.

I sighed. Now I was okay. An hour ago was a different story. I was terrified. If I couldn't explain what was happening or whatever it was had no explanation, my brain went into overdrive. That was normal, right? Everyone had that reaction, didn't they?

With an hour of thinking about what happened, while I didn't know what or who was knocking on the door, I had heard of pranks like that. Young teens terrorizing buildings, playing pranks. Hell, back home, I was the kid that would ding-dong ditch on our neighbors' houses, running away and giggling when they opened the door. Thinking about it now, it was dumb because Harmony was such a small town, someone saw me do it every time.

Maybe we should get a Ring camera or something.

"I'm okay," I sighed, pressing my lips together. "Maybe it was just kids."

Brian tensed, his brows raising.

That worried him. I felt it. "It's okay," I said, cupping his face. "I mean it's not but I'm okay right now. The twins are safe. You're home. We can relax until the day's over and we can sleep this off."

I had to admit I was proud of myself. I was terrified earlier and yet, now, I knew I couldn't dwell on it. I needed to not project that kind of energy in this house. No one needed that.

Brian sighed and pulled me close by my hips. "I'll need to talk to the building's management about it," he said quietly. "I don't want you to be afraid in here."

"I know." I blew out a ball of air, then smiled. "But you're here now."

"I know," he slowly nodded, "and I'll be here. I'm going to take a small break from the shop—"

What? No! The shop was his baby. He lived for that shop. "Brian, you don't have to—"

"—and I will be here, home, with you, until I know for sure everything is okay." He touched my cheek. "I love you, I love our little family, and I need to be here for the three of you."

I couldn't argue with him and I wouldn't. This was when Brian and I were the same; once we made up our minds, there was no changing it.

He brushed his thumb beside my lip. His eyes hooded as he looked at me, then his lip twitched. I thought I saw thoughts pass over his gaze. "What are you thinking about?" I whispered.

He tongued his cheek. "About what I can do," he said.

The condo was silent except for our breaths, our beating hearts, and the occasional small sigh Paris made in her sleep. I glanced behind me, inside the room, checking to see if they were still asleep. I had closed the curtains enough to block the late afternoon sun, and they slept soundly.

Looking back at Brian, his eyes had darkened. His thumb continued to brush over my cheek. I leaned into his touch, sighing softly.

He took a step back but kept his hold on my hips, so I had to follow him. "You know I'm going to protect you, right?"

"I know," I whispered.

He kept going until we reached the couch. He turned us so he sat down, then pulled me to straddle his lap. My skin burned as he searched my face, his hands sliding over my hips. "I will do everything in my power to keep you safe."

Today terrified him, I saw it in his eyes. I saw it in his body language when he came back home. He was riddled with panic and guilt; if he'd been here, would the knocks continued for as long as they did? Would Brian have caught the kid who did it?

I relaxed on top of him, pressing my hands up his chest and around his shoulders. I rubbed the back of his head. "I know you will, baby," I said, smiling weakly, "and you know I'll always take care of you and keep you safe."

"I know," he said, tugging at my hips I felt him, poking between my thighs. My heart sped as he closed his eyes. "I was scared something would happen to you, Kay," he dropped his voice back to a whisper.

"I know," I said quietly.

His hand slid up my back and into my hair. His fingers cupped the back of my head as he leaned against the couch and brought me with him. His breath as heavy, his body tight. I felt his emotional need pushing through in waves, burning my skin, igniting my heart and soul.

My lips hovered over his, right as he whispered, "You're my life, Kay."

I couldn't respond. His mouth took mine in a heated kiss, devouring the words I wanted to say in one breath. Instead. Ai moaned against his lips, letting him take the kiss until I was breathless. In seconds, I was panting, grinding against him to match his need. If he needed this to calm his heart, so did I. I felt the worst today, terrified in my own home, but in Brian's arms I felt safe. I loved him with every fiber of my being and I wanted to feel him the way he wanted to feel me.

"Brian," I whispered against his lips, my body trembling.

He growled quietly before looking up into my eyes. He turned the both of us slightly, so he leaned against the arm of the couch for support. Then he gently placed his hand on my chest. "Lay back," he instructed in a deep, low voice.

I listened. Keeping his gaze, I leaned back until I couldn't and my legs unfolded from under me. Brian took the opportunity to pull off my leggings and underwear, dropping them on the floor beside us. He hissed as his eyes passed over me, his hands and fingers digging into my sides.

"You're so beautiful, Kay."

My cheeks burned. It had been forever since he had me in this position, just partly exposed in front of him for him to see, watch, touch, and admire. Even after being married, having children, and the length of time we were together, pairing this with the dark dangerous look in his eyes was exciting. And I wanted all of it. Especially when his hands reached for the button and zipper on his jeans.

I gulped. Brian lifted me with ease, making sure I was comfortable this way. I locked on his gaze, quietly whimpered, and nodded with a silent answer, assuring him without words that this was fine. I was fine, and I wanted this. He passed his tongue over his bottom lip as he positioned himself to enter me. When he pushed in, he went painstakingly slow.

My jaw dropped as I watched him, and a small moan slipped past my lips.

Brian thrust again, pulling me closer by my legs. "I'm going to take it slow, " he whispered. "Relax, lay back, and enjoy this."

I couldn't argue with him. As he thrust again, I closed my eyes, bit my lip, and let him take me on a ride.

 As he thrust again, I closed my eyes, bit my lip, and let him take me on a ride