Chapter Fourteen:

**Kay**

**Kay**

I couldn't stay inside; I did that enough already. The sun was shining outside, the twins were happy, it all called for much-needed air and rays. I knew Brian wanted me to stay inside but after yesterday, it felt like being here gave me more anxiety than the outdoors. That was strange for me to admit.

But I had to. I needed to keep myself at peace. So, the moment I stepped outside with the double stroller, I kneeled in front of the twins, made sure they were secured, I kept my cell phone against my ear with my shoulder.

It rang and rang until Jade answered.

"Hi bestie," Jade said, but her voice was hushed, just above a whisper.

As I stood and moved around to the back of the stroller to push the twins along the sidewalk, I frowned. "What's wrong?" I asked Jade.

"Nothing, just being quiet. What's up?"

Quiet? That was very out of character for Jade. I loved the fact that she was always extra, a little loud, and energetic. I fed off the energy. And today, I needed it.

I cleared my throat as I continued walking. The sounds of the twins' giddy laughter made me smile. "So, I was thinking, that maybe, we can go to the beach again, hang out, get ice cream, you know."

The was a moment of silence before Jade groaned in disappointment. I stopped walking.

"Kay, I'm working the morning shift today—"

Oh. My frown deepened.

"—But I can come by later and have a late dinner. Not sure if Brian will be home but I could keep you company until he is!" Jade sounded happy at the end, and I appreciated it. I had just hoped to catch her on another day filled with free time.

Sucking my teeth, I let out an awkward laugh to hide my disappointment. "No, its okay. I think Brian will be home in a few hours, I just thought I could go out for a few and decompress, you know."

Jade sighed. "I'm sorry, booboo. Text me if anything and I'll see what I can do if Brian isn't there, okay?"

I had texted Jade about what happened the other day, but I was vague, saving the extreme details for when I saw her in person.

"Thank you." Moving around the stroller to look at the twins, I made a goofy face to keep them entertained. I was sure they were confused as to why we had stopped moving. They didn't need to hear the sadness in my voice. "If anything, I will text you, okay?"

"Okay, love ya," Jade said.

"Love ya, too. Have a good day at work." With that, we hung up the phone, and I stayed, kneeling in front of my babies with my tongue out. It made them laugh and Paris had the cutest dimples on her face, I couldn't stop.

Maybe I could just enjoy time with them. There was nothing wrong with that, right?

"Kay?" a deep voice called my name.