Chapter 34

"Looks like someone had a rough weekend," said Ben Vang.

"Yeah, that's an understatement," I said, slamming my locker a little too forcefully and rounding on him. "You saw the video, right?"

"Oh, yeah. Two pretty girls fighting—how could I miss it? Looks like you really clobbered her. Or did she clobber you?"

He glanced from the bruises on my face to the bandage on my right wrist. I felt the color rising in my cheeks.

"Hah hah. I picked a fight at the Midnight Rider and got the crap beaten out of me by Dalton Reaves. I'd be dead if it weren't for... someone took me to Dr. Lily. He stitched me back together."

I winced a little as I picked up my backpack. I'd toughed out a cracked rib before, and it was not fun. I was already taking above the recommended dosage for painkillers, and besides not wanting to develop a dangerous habit, I had nearly walked straight into a wall twice this morning.

"So you're grounded?" asked Ben.

I nodded.

"For two weeks. And dad's canceling my membership at the MMA gym. And I don't have my phone, so I can't even sneak out to do vigilante stuff. Ellie says it's a brilliant opportunity to actually get caught up on homework, so... yeah. Should be loads of fun."

I rolled my eyes and gave a melodramatic sigh.

"Need any help with math?" said Ben innocently.

"As a matter of fact, yeah," I said impatiently. "I need a lot of help with math. But I have to go home right after school, so..."

I trailed off. Ben had that look on his face that told me he was about to do something that would seem chivalrous if I hadn't known he was an arrogant pig.

"Eh, if we can't do our regular sparring, I can come over and help you with math. I'd hate for you to get lonely."

"Right," I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "I forgot you were an expert in spotting lonely girls. Is that how you got a date to prom?"

He snorted. Word had traveled through the entire school that Ashton Harlow, a curvy senior in the Arts track with a certain reputation (to put it kindly), had asked Ben to prom over the weekend. It had almost eclipsed my escapades at Gennifer's as the hottest piece of school gossip.

Almost.

"No. I blame being the best-looking guy in school and the best amateur kickboxer in the continental United States, not to mention—."

"The Olympics," I said, rolling my eyes. "Assuming you don't blow it in the qualifiers. I can see how those things would appeal to someone with no self-respect."

(I had somehow forgotten that I was the one who'd been caught on video grinding on a complete stranger just three days earlier, and in a moment of uncharacteristic gallantry, Ben didn't remind me.)

"So you don't want my help?"

"No," I said, setting aside my pride and accepting defeat as gracefully as possible. "I'll ask dad if you're allowed to come over and help me with math. You remember where I live, right?"

"Of course. But I'll walk you home. Then I can make sure you don't get in any more trouble."

"Seems like everybody's worried about me getting myself into trouble these days," I said petulantly.

Ben shrugged, but I could tell he was holding something back.

"What?" I asked sharply.

The bell tone echoed through the hallways of Sefton Polytechnic. Now we were both late for class. Ben was choosing his words carefully.

"Maggs, since... Have you noticed that with Mallory gone, you've been... even more obsessed than usual with... your hobby?"

We were alone in the narrow corridor, but he was still being guarded. That was the thing I never could figure out about Ben Vang—he was serious at the most unexpected times.

"What I do is important," I said.

I tried to detect even the hint of a teasing smile, but his expression gave away nothing. My pulse quickened slightly.

"I know," he said. "But you are too. Don't forget that."

And I was blushing. Again. Screw Ben Vang and his stupid handsome face and his dark eyes and his annoying way with words. We stared at each other for a long time. Ben was the one who finally broke the silence.

"I gotta get to Trig. What are you late for, again?"

"English," I groaned, glad to have an escape from that emotionally complicated moment. "Ugh, that's my 11th tardy this semester. Porter's gonna kill me."

"Good luck," said Ben with a wink. "Oh, and Maggs: who was the guy? The one you were dancing with?"

I managed to keep my face neutral and my voice off-handed as I answered him, but it took a lot of effort. I was sure he was looking for a chance to judge me.

"Oh. Uh, Gabriel. I think he's, like... Avon's second cousin or something. It probably won't go anywhere. I was just... yeah. I dunno."

I wasn't really sure why I didn't tell Ben about Gabriel's dual identity as the Whippowil. I guess I liked having a friend—or whatever Gabriel was—that wasn't tied up in the mess that was my real life. Besides, if Ben Vang knew that the same guy I was dancing with at Gennifer's party had also saved my life—well, there would be a lot of teasing. At least for now, Gabriel Langston was my secret.

Ben appeared satisfied with my response.

"See ya tomorrow, Maggs," he said. "Don't get too lonely without me."

He turned to leave.

"Has anyone ever told you you have the most gigantic—."

"I hear it all the time," Ben called back as he disappeared around the corner.

"I was talking about your ego, not your junk," I muttered. With an annoyed sniff, I turned in the other direction and raced off towards my English class. I was already three minutes late, but maybe I could make up for it with a little class participation and Mr. Porter would forgive me. I had actually done the assigned reading for the first time since January.

For these two weeks, I would at least try to be a good student.