Chapter 54

The Policeman's Ball was held at the Marbrose Merchant's Exchange in the Deco District. Officially—not that anyone was asking—I was there to keep an eye on the scum that ran the city and maybe gather some useful intel. In reality, I was 100% there to spy on Corrigan and my dad. I'd changed into my costume as soon as he left and I was perched on the roof of the building when they arrived in Corrigan's squad car. Dad occasionally dressed up for hospital fundraisers, but Mom had always picked out his clothes. This was the first time I'd ever seen him in full evening dress, which he'd rented for the occasion. That was suspicious. Despite all his protests to the contrary, I could tell he liked Sarah Corrigan. I mean, she was pretty, I guess. And she had certainly gone all-out for this event, which made me even more suspicious. But their flirty conversation as they entered the main hall together was more disconcerting still.

"So what's my role?" Dad asked.

"Just look good and keep me away from the alcohol," said Corrigan, patting his arm. "Also, make sure to mention you're a doctor."

"So I'm just your trophy date."

"And my accountability. It takes the self-control of an idealist to keep his attractive date from getting drunk."

"Oh god, she's all over him," I muttered. "What makes Whorrigan think she..."

I paused, realizing that I was talking to Ellie out of habit even though she wasn't on the other end of the line. I crept along the outer ledge of the large window that looked down into the main hall, keeping my eavesdropping app trained on Dad and Corrigan. There were a lot of guests in the ballroom—quite a few of them police officers, but mostly politicians and socialites and other members of Marbrose high society. This was a fundraiser, after all, and even Marbrose cops weren't made of money. The Walt Kirrane Orchestra was there as the evening's entertainment—Dad would appreciate that, if he could pry his eyes away from Corrigan for a second. Maybe if I were being a little less selfish, I would have noticed that he was smiling more than I'd seen in years. Instead, I was grasping at every possible reason not to like his date.

"Time for politics," said Corrigan, after they'd found their seats. "Just keep looking handsome and respectable and leave the threatening to me."

She took his arm and guided him over to a broad-shouldered man with thick blonde hair and a boyish face that might have been handsome except for the undeniable hint of thuggishness. The man's date was a young, skinny blonde wearing furs and jewelry that even a police captain's wife—or girlfriend—shouldn't have been able to afford.

"Sarah," said the man pleasantly. "I heard about the promotion. They really are keeping you busy, aren't they? And who's this?"

His voice was deep and masculine, but not exactly comforting.

"This is Dr. Colman Hunt," she said, putting particular emphasis on the impressive prefix. "Colman, this is Captain Brom of the 11th Precinct."

"Sarah and I used to work together in Homicide," said Brom, still smiling broadly. "Back in the good ol' days."

"I tend to think of them more as the bad ol' days, Howard," said Corrigan. "I like being able to sleep at night."

"See, that's never been a problem for me," said Brom. He motioned for his date to go powder her nose or something like that, and moved a little closer to Corrigan and my dad.

"So," said Brom, his face suddenly serious. "What do you want?"

"I want Sloane," said Corrigan. "And don't even bother to argue with me, Howard, because I know he's been a pain in your ass for ten years now. Let him be my pain in the ass instead. He's practically full-timing for me as it is. What've you got to lose?"