Chapter 41

"Let's begin by preparing the tools."

I raced through the pouring rain on the Night-Wheel, weaving through traffic as I hurtled toward Mallet Street. The madman's voice whispered in my left ear, taunting me. In my right, Ellie was growing more and more frantic.

"Uh, left turn. The intersection at Munson and Freed is flooded. This way is faster. Crap, crap, crap."

The cold spring rain was soaking through my clothes and cape. I skidded through a red light and almost got run over by a Lothian sedan that was making a perfectly legal turn. I pressed the accelerator, trying to get as much speed as I could out of my motorcycle. Every second counted. I couldn't afford to be careful.

"This incision opens a major artery. The blood will flow easily, so death can come sooner."

"Ellie, what's taking so long?" I said. "I thought your program was gonna find him right away."

"It's the rain!" said Ellie. "It's drowning out everything else. Ugh, he knew we would try this. He must've planned around it."

"Rain's also an ASMR trigger," said Ben, leaning close enough to Ellie's mic so I could hear his voice. "I, uh... watch them sometimes, when I'm having trouble—."

"Ben, just shut up," I said. "Ellie, I'll be at Mallet Street in three minutes. Get me something soon."

"I'm trying," she said. "I... I'm doin' my best."

Her voice was starting to tremble. That was a bad sign.

"Let's use the longer knife to widen her smile. Shh. Thousands of people are watching. They want you to smile."

It was starting to rain even harder. I adjusted the night vision on my mask so I could see more clearly. Even though it was around dinner time, the city was growing dark. The clouds overhead rumbled and flashed with lightning.

"Ellie," I said as I swerved onto Lathrop Street, where I'd met Hazel McFarren earlier that spring. "You got anything?"

There was no response. Instead, I heard a retching sound, and the clatter of headphones falling to the floor.

"Ellie? Are you okay?"

Again, no response. I repeated my question, not sure whether to be frustrated or worried.

"S-sorry," she mumbled. "Uh... south end of Mallet Street. That's all I've got."

I'd already figured that out. The further south you went on Mallet Street, the bleaker and more dilapidated the buildings became. Deadstream needed isolation for his crimes. Somewhere close to the waterfront would suit him perfectly.

"Ellie, I can take over," I heard Ben whisper.

"I got it, Ben," Ellie said. Her breathing was unusually heavy.

"Human skin is so fragile. Scarring. Lacerations. Degloving. It happens so easily. So easily."

I was less than a minute from Mallet Street. The roads were getting narrower, and the elevated tracks overhead finally provided some relief from the downpour. My thoughts were consumed with finding and hurting Deadstream. All I needed was an address.

"Ellie, I'm almost there," I said. "I really, really need something to go on."

More silence in my right ear. In my left, I could hear the old woman sobbing.

"Ellie, give me an address!" I shouted.

"Try 612 East," said Ellie, all the usual confidence gone from her voice. "The... top floor. I hope."