4

"I trust that you're still coping with this in a weirdly obsessive way

"I trust that you're still coping with this in a weirdly obsessive way."

"I am not! Obsessive? Really Hien?"

Hien laughs at the blushing young woman before standing up to shred a stack of pre-approved credit offers in her cramped office while Tamara leans back in her seat across.

She listens to the soothing sound of the papers splitting apart in the shredder while she waits on her friend to return from her task. She had been trying to get together with her ever since the latter had returned from a much needed trip to Vietnam a few weeks ago

"Okay..." As Hien returns to sit, she purses her lips while eyeing her friend wearily.

"Hien Cong, don't you say it."

"But he's single! He's always been right there! Besides, you brought up Massad being single and wanting to match him up with some girl at church. You've been doing so for-" Hien cuts herself off, trying to remember an exact number to no avail.

"Maybe once or twice."

"I'm pretty sure it's more than that! Massad is undeniably sweet and so respectful I just don't understand how he's not married yet. The Godly man that he is...oof." Hien exhales frustratingly, grasping the air as if she could choke it with her neatly manicured fingers.

Tamara chuckles at this, her laughter dying as soon as it started. She looks at Hien incredulously, a question itching at her tongue.

"Do you like him?"

Hien's eyes go wide as she realizes what she's being asked; nonetheless she doesn't shy away from answering the question.

"Maybe a little, but don't tell him I said that!" She interjects pointing her finger towards Tamara who seems surprised by her confession as her eyes nearly bulge out.

"Huh, you never said anything to me about this." She admits uncrossing her legs to lean a bit on the desk, "tell me..." she drums her own manicured nails on the amber polished surface as if listening in on a secret, "do you think he knows? I know you said not to repeat this but have you thought of telling him?"

The other woman leans back in her chain comfortably before biting her lip as she thinks of a reply, her hazel nut eyes glancing over the paper-stacked mountain she had yet to work on.

"It's really not that deep you know. I am happily single and not searching for my husband right now. You know I'm not into dating yet, I have been praying but also being patient. I want the best He has. Besides, I just think Massad would make a great husband someday to the woman God has for him. She's certainly not me." Hien admits, smiling as she finishes but unbeknownst to her, Tamara looks on, forcing a smile as she nods towards her, pensive.

Hien suddenly clasps her hands, breaking Tamara out of her trance and stands up before picking her purse and other files, "Are you heading out soon? I've been confined to this office all day."

"Sure, what do you want to do?"

"Hungry. Let's eat something and please, enough about my non-existent love life. Tell me, how's it being married to Tion Jackson?"

Tamara playfully rolls her eyes as Hien links their arms, heels clicking against the marble tile. Both women strut out of the bank, unaware of the timid look one of Hien's coworkers shoots her way.

The two friends head out to find a nice place where they can eat, Hien craving steak while Tamara follows closely behind as the former drags her along. They don't realize how long they've been talking or the calls Tamara has been receiving as they enjoy their much needed time together.

***