Chapter 5 - Into Town: 1880 Memphis Up Close

The above picture is somewhere in downtown Memphis in the year 1890. Ten years off, but it probably looked the same in 1880. Maybe minus the phone lines. Or switch lines. Telephone technology was invented in 1875.

~ ~ ~

My heart nearly jumped out of me at the sudden sound of a rooster calling. I came right out of a dream, and my head immediately started pounding from being woken up out of deep sleep. I groaned and turned over and pulled the blankets over my head. I almost fell asleep again, but the bedroom door opened.

"Up and at 'em, Mr. Presley!" a man hollered. "Time to get out there and get some chores done!"

Stephen left the room, and I groaned into the pillow again. "No... I'm still here. So much for that dream."

It seemed like I had no other option than to get up and get ready. I was used to getting up early when I didn't want to and running the day on five or less hours of sleep. I looked out the window as I sat up in bed, and I saw through it the fields that were void of my mansion. That didn't make me feel any better.

I went to the vanity mirror and sat down on the wooden chair. The desk had a bowl on it, and there was some water and a rag in there. I splashed cool water on my face and wiped my face with the cloth. Better. What did these people do to brush their teeth? And I had to go. That meant I needed the outhouse in the back. I missed the bathroom being right across the hallway from my room.

Nothing I could do about it now.

I fixed my hair how I could using that water, since there wasn't a brush or comb handy, and I got dressed. I went out into the living room, but no one was there. I stared around at the quaint room for a moment and let out a large sigh through my nose. "Well, who knows how long I'll be here?"

Talking came from the kitchen, and I headed there. Once I walked in, I saw every member of the family in there, and they all looked at me. Elma and Grace mainly stared at me, wide-eyed. Lucy gave me a friendly smile.

"Well, good mornin', Elvis," she said. "My, don't you look dashing."

"Thank you, ma'am. And good mornin' to you, too."

"I think only you can make simple clothing look very good," said Elma as he cheeks were flushed pink.

"Honestly, Elma..." Grace reprimanded as she was at the counter, and she was slicing bread.

"What? It's true. So, how 'bout some breakfast, Elvis? Then you and Papa can head out and get some work done before you, Momma and Grace go into town."

I forgot about going into town. It would be interesting to see what Memphis looked like in the 1880s. "I think I would love some breakfast, thank you."

She came over and took my arm and dragged me to the dining table. She sat next to me as the rest of the family joined in on the breakfast. Even though she had a crush, she was hooked to me like a magnet.

The family and I enjoyed breakfast, then it was out to do chores with Stephen. Thankfully, I didn't have to use the outhouse. That was mainly for solid waste. The bushes seemed to be a fine restroom. I would have to get used to that. Hopefully places in town had plumbing. When was plumbing invented?

Elma fetched the chicken eggs while Grace went to got pick some produce. I saw Lucy wash some clothes in a bucket with one of those metal washboards. It was like I was back in Love Me Tender, only this was real life. And minus the cowboys. Sometime while staying here, I would ride Daisy.

"Mr. Presley, are you payin' attention?"

I looked over at Stephen as we were in the cow pen, and he was milking one of the other female cows. "I apologize. I was just takin' this all in. I'm really not used to livin' like this."