Chapter 8 - Town Gathering: Part 1 - Singing Sensation

After we returned Parsley and Snow, Grace and I arrived back at close to ten at night, and everyone had already gone to bed. We entered darkness and silence when we came into the living room, and Grace shone her lantern in the room, and we quietly stepped through it on our way to the hallway. At her bedroom door that was shut, and we both could hear Elma on the inside snoring slightly, I stared at Grace as the lantern light made the skin on her face shine, as well as made her green eyes glitter. What a sight.

"That was a lot of fun today," I said in a low whisper.

"Yes, I'm just glad that we didn't get lost," she whispered back. "We almost did when we are headin' to and from the area where that Auburn Drive house would be built."

I had to smirk in amusement. "For the dozenth time, it's Audubon Drive, not Auburn Drive."

"Close enough. Now, we should hit the hay. We have a busy day tomorrow with the town gatherin'."

"Where's that takin' place, anyway? I heard it's pretty near here."

"Yes. It's going to take place about a quarter mile from here, in a park that's down the road. People were settin' up for it today. We didn't go in that direction, so we didn't see that goin' on."

My brows creased. "Hang on, people were settin' up for the party? You could'a said somethin'. We could'a helped 'em out a bit."

"I almost said somethin', but then you mentioned wantin' to see those places that are special to you." She smiled beautifully. "But I love that you are so willin' to help. I mean with the town gatherin' and here on the farm. I have no idea how we're gonna keep this place in the family. Mr. Louse is pretty persistent."

I folded my arms, and the atmosphere around us became thick and serious. "Yeah... there's just somethin' about that guy... I'm gonna try talkin' to 'im tomorrow at the gatherin'. Hopefully I can pull out what's really goin' on."

Her brows creased. "What do you mean?"

"Liza and Geraldene were sayin' that they're not sure why their pop's so hell-bent on buyin' this land. They think there's more to it other than buildin' some office buildin' here. I'm gonna get it outta him. This is my home as well as yours."

She nodded, thinking about this. "I have sensed that they could be more to it. But will he just tell you the real reason, if there is one?"

"Don't know. I guess we'll see. If anythin', I'm gonna make sure he doesn't get this place, no matter the reason."

Her eyes started to glisten in the lantern light. "Thank you, Elvis. That is really kind of you."

I was ready to wipe away any tears that were coming, but none came. "Anytime."

We stood there for a few seconds, and my heart started dancing when my gaze landed on her lips. She sensed the atmosphere change, and she looked down, away from my gaze.

"So... are we gonna talk about what almost happened in that long grass earlier?" I asked, and her face flushed pink.

"No, we're going to bed. Goodnight, Elvis."

"Goodnight," I said, and she opened the door quietly and went on in with a last little smile aimed at me. I grinned. She knew very well what could've happened out there in the grass, and it was a wise decision to avoid it. I had a girlfriend, she had a fiancé, practically, and we both, as well as the whole family, were all trying to keep Graceland.

That was the main goal. I just had to figure out how to address it to that Mr. Louse. He didn't seem like a really mean man, he was just desperate to get Graceland.