Prologue

Laurence POV:

The calling was becoming intolerable. All I could think about was wanting to return to the desolate hell.

I had overheard Aphmau admit to Cadenza, Katelyn and Zoey about being pregnant with Aaron's child. While accidentally eavesdropping, I became overwhelmed with an indescribable anger. After all I had done for her, and this is what I get in return?

I punched a tree next to me in frustration, some birds flying away from being startled.

I had never been filled with so many negative emotions before. I was angry at Aphmau for not trusting me. I was annoyed at Garroth for never shooting his shot. I was enraged at Aaron for taking the woman I loved away from me. But above all else, I was mad at myself for not doing more.

I scoff.

"This is ridiculous."

I continue to walk deeper into the forest. I had no knowledge of where I was going, or when I'd get there, but I knew I could no longer be near Aphmau. If I saw her in my current state... I didn't want to think about what would happen if I saw her.

I walked for days, traveling across Ru'An with no destination in mind. When I'd close my eyes, all I could see were the towering walls of netherbrick, the looming warped forests, the desolate soulsand valleys, and hear the distant cries of Ghasts.

These recent months, I have become easily chilled. The warmth of the Nether feeling all the more comforting.

But I don't want to go back to the Nether. I can still live as a human on the surface.

I shook my head.

Laurence what are you thinking? You know you very well can't-- not anymore. The one thing keeping your humanity has abandoned you, like everyone else.

I glared at the ground beneath my feet, my eyes burning with hatred.

I died and became this for her, and I barely got a thank you.

I stopped in my tracks.

What was left for me on the surface? My love has chosen another man, my friends have not seemed to notice my disappearance, my only family is much too busy to worry about me, and my one true lifelong friend died saving me.

I looked around me in an attempt to get my bearings.

"There's one more thing I have to do."

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚  ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

The tugging on my heart was at its peak, and in front of me stood the Nether portal.

The hissing of the purple particles left me feeling nostalgic, and the soft snorts of Piglins that I could hear through the portal brought me comfort.

"Y'know, Michi really wants to thank you for getting us out of there."

"You really didn't have to do that."

Turning around, I met the gaze of Sasha and Michi. They watched me with curiosity, not sure what my objective was.

"I wanted to." I replied.
"Well for what my thanks is worth, thank you."

I replied with a 'hmm' and returned to facing the Nether portal. The swirls were hypnotic, and the heat radiating from the portal was refreshing compared to the freezing temperatures of the Overworld.

"So what are you planning to do now?" Sasha asked. I took a deep breath, my Shadow Knight armour hugging me and bringing comfort to my touch-starved body.

"I have to answer the calling."
"Has it gotten that bad?"

I couldn't answer Sasha, but I'm sure she was fully aware of what the answer was. Confirming my inner thoughts, Sasha continued.
"I see, so she would be dead if you saw her again."

I shifted on my feet, the anxiety of wanting to return to the place I was reborn was becoming overwhelming.

"So what about you two?"

"Michi is taking me back to Tu'La"

"Nyah~ Michi wants to go home... this region is boring~ especially if a cutie like you is gone."

I roll my eyes. "I hope you two have fun together."

"I'm sure we will." Sasha begins "Good luck Laurence, say hi to Gene for me."
Sasha and Michi turn away and begin to exit the cave.
"If he's still alive." Sasha finishes.

"Bye~~" Michi says with a purr.

They both exit the cave, leaving me and the Nether portal alone.

"Hello old friend..." I walk forward, letting my entire being become engulfed by the portal's comfort.