Chapter 8

Zenix POV:

The bright sun shone through the draped door of the tent right into my eyes, waking me up at the crack of dawn. I groaned and rolled over, trying to escape the bright light. Compared to the darkness of the Nether, the Overworld was far too bright and I was not having it this early in the morning.

After a couple minutes of trying-- and not succeeding, to fall back asleep, I eventually gave up and sat up to stretch. Feeling my joints crack satisfyingly, I sigh contently and look at the sleeping man to my left. His limbs stuck out in every-which direction. He was sprawled out and taking up more than half of the tent's area. His hair was an absolute mess and I could hear him softly snoring which made me chuckle a little bit.

I stood up, tip-toeing my way to the door of the tent desperately trying not to disturb Laurence. For once he seemed peaceful while he slept. After he fell asleep, he had kept me up for most of the night. His constant tossing and turning and cries for Aphmau and Ungrth made sleeping next to impossible.

I reached the outside of the tent and took in a deep breath of the fresh-- and not sooty, air. Though I no longer have any personal ties to the Overworld, I did miss the coolness of it all. Everything looks and feels sharp compared to the heavy and dark atmosphere of the Nether. Stretching one more time, I made my way to the remains of the campfire and started to build a small one for the morning. After a night like I had, I needed the soothing flame of a fire to get me through today.

After the fire was lit, I took a quick survey of our surroundings. The sun was partly above the horizon; about 06:00 I think. The trees surrounding us were tall, larger than the tallest warped trees in the Nether. The trunks were exceptionally wide as well, it would've taken three or four people to fully wrap around the base of each tree. Phoenix Drop was miles away, and any settlers that may have heard the opening of the portal wouldn't have followed us this far.

I returned my gaze back to the small fire.

"I hope Laurence wakes up soon, I don't really want to sit and wait for very long."

When packing for the journey, I neglected to bring any sort of entertainment for situations like these-- I guess I thought we would be awake and walking most of the time so I wouldn't need anything of the sort. But Laurence is used to traveling with humans, so this was probably just instinct for him more than anything.

I pursed my lips, bored and needing something to do. I glanced around and noticed mine and Laurence's travel bags leaning up next to the tent. I knew what was in mine, so I grabbed his and began to shuffle through to see if he brought anything.

"Hmm clothes, clothes, paperwork? ugh boring."

I took some things out and continued to riffle through his belongings like they were my own. I eventually found a map at the bottom of the bag. I opened the map, not sure what to expect. It was a detailed map of Ru'aun, and had every last bit of detail from his travels. It included the obvious villages, such as Brightport, Phoenix Drop and O'khasis, as well as the lesser known ones like the Neapolitan Villages and Kawaii-Chan's old cafe. I think it was a bit out of date though, as Brightport's border was not as large as it is now.

"Looks like we'll have to stop by a library to update the map."

Though the map was out of date, there should be some village around here that we can stop by. I looked closer at the map and began trying to pin point where we might be. 

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚  ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙