Chapter 2

Laurence POV:

I glared at Shad.

"Well it's about time you tried. After all, your armies couldn't." I smirked.

Gene growled, "Why you--"

Shad placed a hand on Gene's shoulder.

"Let him talk, it's the only thing he's got. After all, we got nearly half of his rebellion under our control."

I glare at him, unsheathing my sword. "I'll make you pay!"

Shad chuckles, "Now...."

Before he could finish his thought, Shad looks quizzically to my right. I followed his gaze and saw Aphmau and Katelyn had successfully climbed back up from the ground beneath the bridge. I mentally facepalm, and curse under my breath.

"You..." Shad begins, his voiced laced with hatred and loathing. Aphmau returned his gaze, despair overflowing from her expression. She was horrified, and the faintest of whimpers could be heard form her.

Why is she reacting like that? He's not that intimidating...

I looked back to Shad, and it clicked.

That's Aaron's body!

"Garroth! Run! Get out of here!" I order him.

Garroth runs towards Aphmau-- Katelyn muttering something to her as they dart off in the direction of the Nether portal.

"Gene, take care of Laurence. Irene is mine." Shad watches in the direction of Aphmau, Katelyn and Garroth.

"I won't let you pass!" I run towards Shad to attack.

"I'll handle this." Gene steps up to me, shielding Shad from me.

"Good." He acknowledges and follows after Aphmau.

I glare at Gene, swinging my sword at him. He blocks, and pushes me backward. I Land on my feet, breathing heavy.

"Where's your Shadow Lord now?" I taunt. Gene rushes me again, our swords clanking against one another.

"Unlike your underlings," He takes a swing at me and I block it. "I don't question him." I push him back and he lands unevenly, but still on his feet. "He knows what he's doing, and that's more than what you can say."

I scoff, rushing him again. Our swords clashing once more.

"Y'know, I would kill you right here and now, but honestly?" He takes a heavy swing at me, I block it. "You'd make an excellent addition to our army."
I growled. "I do not seek to be controlled by the likes of you, or anyone else."

Caught off guard, Gene kicks me to the ground.

"Are you sure? Because you aren't at your full potential yet." He taunts.

"You--"

Gene sighs, running a hand through his thick dark hair. "I hate to see a strong Shadow Knight go to waste like this."

Next thing I know, I hear footsteps running toward Gene. Looking over my shoulder, I see Zenix appear out of no where and kick Gene into the wall of the strong-hold.

I stand up and walk to his side.

"Zenix! Took you long enough!" Zenix faces me, and gives me a wink. "Hahaha! Did you miss me?"

He walks over to Gene, who was struggling to get up. Zenix-- with an eerie smile, punches Gene from the wall into the railing of the bridge.

Gene gets up and coughs. "Ugh, you had to make an appearance." He turns away from us, looking down at the netherack below. He looked over his shoulder, making eye contact with the both of us.

"Don't think this is over. I will see you," he then gestures to the strong-hold. "And your pathetic rebellion crushed."

He then jumps off the bridge to the netherack below, scurrying back to Shad's fortress leaving only me and Zenix on the bridge.

I sigh and turn to Zenix. "And where have you been? I was looking for you."

Zenix replied with a roll of his eyes.

"Around. What's it to you?"

I sighed. "Zenix we have to stick together and plan our next attack. Shit is beginning to stir in the Overworld, and our opportune moment to attack is approaching." I paused and looked into his eyes to gauge a reaction.

Sighing, I continue.

"Have you got any good news for me?"

He scoffed and looked away.

I pinned him against the wall of the strong-hold, my patience wearing thin. "Zenix, I don't have the mental energy to deal with this song and dance."

He then grabbed the breast plate of my armour and pulled me closer to whisper in my ear. "I do have good news, but it's better if we discuss it in the privacy of your office." He then let me go and reached to open the door to the strong-hold.

I stepped away from him and watched as he walked through the door, leaving me alone on the bridge.

I sighed, looking up to the roof of the Nether.

"They better have made it out safe..."