Chapter VII: A small incident

Inside the dormitories of the first years, in one of the dorms on the girls' floors, a blonde haired girl was checking the cupboard of her new kitchen. She was Shiina Mahiru, a freshman and a student of Class B.

As someone accustomed to cooking, Mahiru had to make sure she had all she needed to do it. Hence why the first thing she had done after entering her dorm was to visit the kitchen.

It was her highest priority at the moment as she had promised to cook for Kiyotaka, exploring her new dorm could wait.

Fortunately or unfortunately, her new kitchen had only the basic appliances. Also the refrigerator was empty, it was something she expected but still hoped it would be different.

'Considering that the school gave us 100 000 yen as if it were nothing, I expected more.' Mahiru thought inwardly.

Having finished her inspection, Mahiru approached Kiyotaka. "I'm ready, Ayanokouji-kun." Mahiru said happily.

"Then, let's go Shiina." Kiyotaka said.

After those words were said, Kiyotaka and Mahiru left the dormitory. They weren't in a hurry, thus they kept walking at a calm pace. During their short walk, Mahiru was tempted to hold Kiyotaka's hand like she had done it before.

Sadly she didn't dare to do it. The same thought kept popping up in her head each time their hands would brush, thus to keep herself busy with other things she started to make a list of what she needed to buy.

At the current moment, Kiyotaka's point balance was zero and she had promised to take care of him. Meaning she had to either lend him part of her current allowance or just to cook all meals for him. The latter idea was very tempting to Mahiru but she wasn't sure how to broach that topic.

On the other hand Kiyotaka was trying to guess what curry was made of. Thanks to his upbringing, Kiyotaka had barely tasted different dishes, he was used to that bland food served in that place, hence he was at a loss right now.

"What are we exactly getting, Shiina?" Kiyotaka asked. He had never eaten curry before thus he wasn't aware of what it contained.

"Let's see." Mahiru said pensively. "I think I'll make curry rice."

"Curry rice?" Kiyotaka said curiously. 'Are there other types of curry?' Kiyotaka thought.

"You've never eaten curry rice before, right?" Mahiru said worriedly. Curry rice was an easy dish to make and one of the most loved home-cooked dishes in Japan.

"I haven't, is it wrong?" Kiyotaka said.

"No." Mahiru said. 'I just have to make your first time unforgettable.' Mahiru thought inwardly.

"Anyway, you're helping me now, Ayanokouji-kun." Mahiru said happily.

"Sure." Kiyotaka said. "Just don't expect too much from me, I've never cooked before."

"It's fine, by the end of the month I'm sure you will be a great cook." Mahiru said excitedly.

***

Kiyotaka and Mahiru had just entered a convenience store, it was the closest one to the dorms. The first thing they noticed was that there was a long line of students. Nothing out of the ordinary, except for the presence of a certain student that stood like a sore thumb.

There was a space between him and the other students, said student had red hair and looked like a delinquent. Also had a gaze that promised death to whoever approached him.

Continuing with their mission Mahiru took a basket and started walking, Kiyotaka was following a little behind her. As they kept walking, Mahiru would take items from the shelves and put them in the basket she was carrying.