Chapter VIII: Disillusioned

Inside one of the rooms of the first years, specifically in room 401, the room of Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. There, inside the kitchen, a blonde haired girl was cutting some carrots. Said girl had her hair tied in an undone ponytail, also she was wearing a pink apron over her school uniform.

She was Shiina Mahiru, a freshman and a student of Class B. Mahiru was cooking lunch by herself as the owner of the room was busy entertaining a guest.

After they left the convenience store, coincidentally they met an acquaintance of theirs. It was a girl they had just met today, she had lilac colored hair and purple eyes. She was Sakayanagi Arisu, the daughter of Chairman Sakayanagi.

Both Mahiru and Kiyotaka were in debt with Chairman Sakayanagi, hence Mahiru decided to ask her to join them for lunch. Upon such an opportunity Arisu didn't even need to think twice about it to accept it.

Taking the chance, Kiyotaka suggested to Arisu that they could play a chess game. Arisu agreed in a heartbeat, to her it was like a dream come true, it wasn't that far from reality as she had waited for more than eight years for that moment.

Thanks to the lack of a chess set, Kiyotaka proposed to play without one. Playing without a chess set laid another layer of difficulty which for someone on his level wouldn't be an issue.

For a second time Arisu agreed immediately. As someone who had played chess for years, Arisu could play entire games in her head. That's how he found himself sitting in front of Arisu in his living room.

"I'm really glad you proposed this chess match, Kiyotaka-kun." Arisu said delightedly. "You don't know how much it means to me. Knight to c3."

"You're welcome I guess." Kiyotaka shrugged. "It was part of the agreement I made with the chairman. Knight to h3."

"Do you mind telling me?" Arisu said curiously. Her father hadn't told her anything about it, she was just informed about Kiyotaka's attendance at the school. "King to g2."

"Let's just say I almost missed school." Kiyotaka said nonchalantly. "Queen to f6."

"Was it because of Shiina-san?" Arisu asked amusedly. "Bishop to d5."

"No." Kiyotaka replied. "Say, Sakayanagi, how about we make a bet? Queen to f2."

"Are you talking about points? Or something else?" Arisu said playfully, at the same time she was looking at him seductively. "King to h1."

"Winner gets all the points of the loser." Kiyotaka proposed. "If it's a draw I'll count it as your win. Queen to g1."

"Fufufu, are you underestimating me, Kiyotaka-kun?" Arisu said amusedly. "Rock to g1."

"No, you're just overestimating yourself." Kiyotaka said nonchalantly. "Knight to f2."

Regardless of the outcome, Kiyotaka would win in the end. Having no points meant that he had nothing to lose, also as someone that had always been in the top, he was tired of winning. A defeat was a win in a way, at least for him.

"Ayanokouji-kun, that was just rude." Mahiru pointed.

Mahiru had just come from the kitchen and heard everything. The reason she had come was to inform them that food was almost ready, also she wanted to hear what they were talking about as they had been playing in silence before.

"Actually Shiina-san, Kiyotaka-kun might not be that far from the truth." Arisu confessed. "He had defeated grandmasters when he was just a child."

"Still, that was rude." Mahiru remarked. "No more ice cream for you, mister."

"Aren't you exaggerating?" Kiyotaka pointed. "It was just some banter."

Kiyotaka thought that he had no weakness, until he tasted ice cream. Although he had only done it once, he had the feeling that he couldn't live without it. Hence why being deprived of such delicacy was too much of a punishment in his opinion.