Chapter 9

(Please comment and vote, I would love to hear what you think! Thanks for reading!)

I grab the last piece of remaining broken glass that once concealed the floor.  I sigh, and my fingers release as I watch the glass pummel to the bottom of the trash bag, disappearing into the dark.  Drizella drags the bag into the kitchen, and leaves it on the floor, leaning against the counter.  We both sit down, and fill our abandoned cups to the top of the rim.  We occasionally glance at each other, but instantly pull away.  Neither of us say a word, we don't know what to say. 

"I think I should go talk to her." I finally break the silence.

Drizella's eyes widen and she shakes her head.  "She said she wanted to be left alone." 

I take a sip of my drink, which is no longer warm anymore and it just tastes like liquid watery chocolate.  "I wasn't talking about mother."

I shuffle up the stairs, trying to make as little noise as possible so that I don't wake my mother.  I approach the door to my old bedroom, and I hesitate before knocking.  I open the door and Cinderella is sitting on her bed, reading another book.  "You really love reading don't you?"

She turns her head, and I notice a rare smile spread across her face.  She looks very beautiful.  "I love it."

"Do you mind if I come in?  I, um, need to talk to you about something."  I freeze in my spot, and promise not to take another step until she answers.

She nods her head but doesn't look up from her book.  "Sure."

I sit at the edge of her bed, and I can't help but examine everything in her room.  The bookshelves are overflowing with books, all different kinds.  Cookbooks, books about animals, books about sewing, and even children fairy-tale books.  Her mirror remains empty except for a single hairbrush.  She has nowhere near as much makeup as Drizella has, even though they're the same age.  By the looks of her room, we have a lot of things in common. "So, I don't really know how to say this."

She places her book down on the bed, and directs her alluring eyes into mine.  "Anastasia, I really am sorry.  I know I haven't been kind to you or your sister, and I'm not really sure why.  I guess I was just jealous, maybe, I don't really know.  But I know that I am sorry, and I hope we can start over if you are willing to."  She smiles.

"Your father's dead."  I blurt out.  Oh god.  What have I done? 

She blinks numerous times, and jerks her head back.  "What did you say?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to tell you like that.  But, he was in an accident tonight, they came to the house and, um, I'm really sorry.  We're all really upset." I utter, lying about the last part.

"Get out."  She says, without moving an inch. 

I feel like I should comfort her, she doesn't have anyone else to talk to.  But I have no idea what to say.  "I really am sorry."

"Get out, Anastasia!"  She screeches, throwing her book in my direction as I rush out of the room.

I slip back into my room and shut the door. I do feel upset for my mother, and I even feel bad for Cinderella, loosing the last part of her real family. But I can't help but feel relieved that the monster who hits my mother is finally gone. My mother would've never left him if this hadn't happened, she would've never been strong enough to stand up for herself. I know he made her happy sometimes, but that was no where near worth the pain that he put her through. The way that he treated her, it was like he kept pushing and pushing because he knew that she would come back no matter what he did. And that's what he counted on.

The house is almost silent and the vibration of Drizella's light snoring echoes through the halls of our tiny cottage. I think my mother finally stopped crying, and I hadn't heard anything come from Cinderella's room ever since she told me to leave. Yet, this is the first night in a long time that the house has been silent at night. No yelling, no plates breaking, and no loud door slams. I had hoped that things would finally go back to normal now, back to the way things were before. But as usual, I was wrong. Very wrong.