Chapter 9: La Grande Illusion (Part 2)

- - - - THORNHILL - - - -    The next day, the Blossom family is gathered together and are walking together in the woods near their home

   The next day, the Blossom family is gathered together and are walking together in the woods near their home. As The Blossom extended family is walking together, Harry and Cheryl are walking alongside each other, with Archie and Polly just ahead of him, as she break down all the stuff he needs to know about the Blossoms.

Cheryl: When Jason died, I thought I'd tapped my last tree. Now, don't be nervous. All you have to do is hold the bucket steady, I'll handle the rest.

Harry: Who are all these people?

Cheryl: Entre nous, they're Daddy's board of trustees.
They smell blood in the water. That's why they're here.
They're worried Daddy's losing his grip on the company and they're looking for a way to take it away from us.

Harry: They can do that?

Cheryl: If they all vote together, they can. When Jason died, it was a PR debacle. And now, here's Polly, pregnant and unwed. It's no wonder they've descended upon us like some biblical plague.

    A few short while later The Blossom extended family, joined by Archie, Polly and Harry, are gathered around a single tree as Clifford and Penelope Blossom stand in front of them as they are about to begin the annual tradition. Clifford then pulls out a scroll and after he unrolls it, he begins to read from it.

Clifford Blossom: "Nearly years ago, Grandfather Blossom came to this sacred maple grove. The annual tapping ceremony portends each season's bounty." Now, I've performed this ceremony many times in my life. My son Jason, when he came of age, performed it as well. In his place, I put forth my daughter Cheryl.

    All eyes then turn toward Cheryl, as she takes a deep breath and walks slowly toward the tree, as Harry walks behind her. The eyes that look toward Cheryl strike daggers of disapproval and untrusting as Cheryl's antics are widely a talking point, among the Blossom family. Once Cheryl approaches the maple  tree, she picks up a nearby axe as Harry kneels down near a bucket, to catch the syrup from the tree. Cheryl takes one swing and nothing comes out. Murmurs and whispers are spreading through the Blossom family, as Penelope and Clifford look on in fear of what's about to happen. As Cheryl looks at the maple tree nervously, Harry whispers to her to give her some reassurance.

Harry: Hey, don't worry. You got this.

   With an added weight of confidence now seeping through her body, Cheryl swings the axe once again and maple syrup begins to pour out. Big smiles and claps are spread around the extended Blossom family as this maybe the proudest her family that has ever been.
- - - - THE PEMBROKE - - - -
   Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Veronica has invited her friends, including Ethel, to an afternoon lunch at the Pembroke.

Kevin: Mrs. Lodge, this Quiche Lorraine is to die for.

Peter: Never had food like this, before.

Gwen: Not used to the eating on polished table, huh?