Chapter 9: La Grande Illusion (Part 4)

- - - - THORNHILL - - - -    Later that night the Blossom extended family, joined by Polly, Archie, and Harry, are sitting together at a giant table mingling with each other until a cling of the glass turns all attention to ...

   Later that night the Blossom extended family, joined by Polly, Archie, and Harry, are sitting together at a giant table mingling with each other until a cling of the glass turns all attention to Clifford Blossom, who stands as he's about to give a speech.

Clifford Blossom: We were tested this year. As a town, as a company, mainly as a family. And it may not have been Jason's hand that staked the maple this year, but it was the hand of hope.

Rounds of applause are heard all around the table as Clifford sits back down. Once the claps begin to simmer down, Cheryl leans over to Harry to whisper something to him.

Cheryl: Don't think they're being nice or genuine. They wanted me to fail at the tree-tapping. But you're going to help with all that.

Harry: I'll do whatever I can.

Cheryl then smiles at Harry, for his kind words, which leads Harry to give her a little smirk. Suddenly, a hand is felt on Harry's shoulder and he sees that the hand belongs to Clifford Blossom.

Clifford Blossom: Harold, have a word?

Harry: Uh, sure.

Harry gets up from his seat and follows Clifford to a secluded area of the ballroom, so they won't be heard by other members of the Blossom Family

Clifford Blossom: I just spoke to my cousin, Rupert, and he said that he's open to giving you a free-ride scholarship to Empire State University

Hearing this news, Harry is taken aback as he doesn't know what to say as this opportunity would be a great help for not just him but the relationship between him and his father

Harry: Are you serious?! Thank you, sir. I don't know what to say.

Clifford Blossom: Well, you've been such a trooper helping out our family. Cheryl, especially. You fit in so well. I think this is the start of a very bright future between the Blossoms and Osborn

Clifford hands Harry a glass and they both cling their glasses together, as they celebrate the news.

Harry: Thank you, Mr. Blossom.

Clifford Blossom: Oh. "Clifford", please.

Harry: And just so you know, you don't have to keep doing me favors. Me and Cheryl have... history and I'm happy to be here for her, as a friend.

Clifford takes a big swing at the glass and sets it down, as he's getting prepared to ask Harry the big favor that has been on his and Penelope's minds since the tree-tapping ceremony

Clifford Blossom: You know, I'm going to be honest with you. Cheryl's a bright girl, but the Blossom board, they're very skeptical of having her play an active role in the company. Now, someone with your stock and character by her side, tempering her more erratic behavior...