45. My Fault

G I O V A N N I

"Everybody wah fi deh roun' eh building deh deh?" I ask Tedo on the phone.

"Yeah, everything set. Press dem deh ya plentiful too" Tedo laughs.

The phone was on speaker, so Zeniyah was hearing everything and when Tedo said that, I saw how tense she got.

Cutting the conversation short, not wanting to run up maamz pressure nuh higher. "Arite, we soon reach"

"Ah, bro" I hang up the call and rest my hands on her thighs. "Mi nervousss" she sighs.

"Mi know but relax" I try to calm her down.

"Sir, we soon reach" Conroy tells me. "Buckle up mi shoes back fi mi" Zeniyah says, putting her legs on my lap and handing me her heels.

"Mi nay put dem on already. Why yuh tek dem off?" I argue. Even though I know I'm going to put them on regardless.

Whipper dan whipped cream

"Dem high and mi foot did a get tired" she frowns.

"Tek up tings wah yuh can't manage..." I comment, rubbing her feet before slipping one of the shoes on.

"Yuh spoil mi enu" she comments with a smile.

"As I should"

"Remind mi fi thank Solomon todeh fi a sign dah contract deh" Zeniyah jokes and I only chuckle in response, my mind wandering.

What if mi a fall too deep inna dis and go get hurt again?

"Zeniyah nah do dat" my subconscious says reassuringly.

Cyah too sure.

Same ting mi did think wid Wendy and look how dat go.

"Wi reach, boss" Conroy draws me out of my thoughts and thankfully, he did because I would have started questioning everything and mind sharp, I would have ruined the day...

Looking through the windows, sighing.

Tedo wasn't lying...

Wonder if dem people know seh ano Jesus a come fi feed di multitude.

"Bloodclaat" Zeniyah curses when she too sees. Her breathing fastens and I quickly move beside and take a hold of her hands.

"Yah go gov, just remember everything wi go over" she gives me a quick peck and I look at her weirdly.

I don't care whatever circumstance we're under... Who she a gi dat?

"Wah dat?" I ask, referring to her sorry excuse of a kiss.

She gets the message and moves to kiss me once again, this time actually giving me a kiss.

I pull back, knowing if wi continue, dis ago tek waah other road.

"Ready?" She nods and opens the door. When she's out, I follow in pursuit and when I'm finally outside. I see Tedo and Ratty, along with some other men. They nod their heads. Tedo leads the way, while Ratty and the others stay back. I hold Zeniyah's hands, walking through the crowd.

If a nay fi good looks mi woulda jus buss couple shot inna eh air so mi coulda walk freely. But mi ago behave mi self... Fi now.

When we reached the front of the building, where there was a red ribbon tied and my father and mother stood side by side. My mom smiles when she sees us, meanwhile my father wore a blank and cold expression.

I wouldn't expect anything less. We're in public and he had a reputation to uphold.

After all, he was the Don.