Chapter 44 - You Win Some

I think I've dosed off for a while since my headache is gone when I open my eyes again. That medicine Nurse Hilton injected into my IV worked really fast because the first thing I see is the top of Ethan's head, which means that they haven't even left yet.

He is holding my hand, his head resting on his arms crossed on the edge of my bed. I don't think I'm going to fall asleep any time soon. I'm groggy but not really sleepy. He needs to leave, or he'll miss the start of the fun. Delia is not sitting on the bench anymore, and I don't see Simon either. They must've left already, but why did they leave Ethan behind? He'll have to take a bus now, and he is not fond of those.

My eyes survey the room, hoping to find Dell and Sy because they might've moved to a corner, and I am happy to report that nothing is being cloned anymore, and there are no blurry outlines. I can see just fine. To my surprise, my father is not at the table next to my bed either. Perhaps they'd all gone to the bathroom or are talking to the doctor again. 

My IV is gone.

That's strange. The bag was still full when I closed my eyes; why would they've taken it out when I dosed off? Not that I'm complaining. That needle digging into my flesh had not been comfortable. It's nice to be able to move my arm again without feeling those burning pricks.

From what I can see through the window opposite my bed, the lighting outside has changed. If I'm not mistaken, the sun is starting to set. It was still morning when I came here. I didn't just dose off! I must've slept for hours.

"No!" I exclaim, plucking my hand from Ethan's and slapping his arm.

"What?" I think he was taking a nap because he is lifting his head, looking confused and only half awake. He rubs the back of his hand over his eyes, blinking at me.

"Why didn't you go to the festival? You promised!" I accuse, really upset now and jack up my bed until I'm almost sitting upright.

"I did go," Ethan grumbles, pushing himself upright. "I've only been here for about 20 minutes."

"No, you didn't." He wouldn't be here now if he'd gone to the festival. He would be too caught up in the fun to be here now. I wanted him to be caught up in the fun, not spend the day cooped up here with me while I slept like the dead. He'll never get today back. What a waste. I'm really mad at him now.

"I did. See, I even brought you some juice," he says, popping a straw in a small juice box he had next to him on the bench and handing it to me. I take it and thirstily suck the cool liquid down my dry throat. It's my favourite apple-berry blend, but he could've gotten it from anywhere.

"Thanks," I say between sips. "But you didn't go."

"I really did go," Ethan chuckles, turning in his seat to drag a canvas bag from the floor onto the bench. He starts pulling a variety of plushies, bubble baths, beaded bangles, chocolates, huge lollipops and even a doll from the bag, handing them to me one by one, telling me the story of how he'd won them. That bag would put a pirate's loot chest to shame if pirates stole toys and sweets.

The boy has been busy!

"I won this one throwing darts at balloons," he says, placing a two-faced pink and green reversible octopus in my hands. One of those with a happy face and a grumpy one. I could use it to communicate with Ethan without even speaking to him!

"This one I got for knocking Lurch off the barrel," he hands me a weird-looking plushie animal, and I'm really happy to hear that he beat Lurch. The barrel battle is one of the boys' favourite events. They start out as an entire group of players, each trying to stay on top of a rolling barrel while hitting swinging balls at each other. Sometimes they even turn it into a weird kind of barrel bumper-cars. The game ends when there is only one person remaining on a barrel. Even James joins them in the craziness. It is a rather violent game with loads of potential to injure themselves and each other. Just the way they like it.