Father

*The Present*

*Jay's Pov*

"I'm really sorry that happened to you. To lose your entire team, like that, I can't imagine it. I understand why you don't do this whole family thing or work in an actual team."

"As I've said before, my detective days are over. I've never wanted to go back to it. Being a bounty hunter gives me freedom to do what I want. Well, to a certain degree."

Before I could say anything else, her phone pinged and she got up to answer it, quickly leaving my side to be in private.

Hank never should've looked at her file or gone digging but he did and there's nothing I can do about that. I'm already suspended for talking back. Part of me just hopes that he hasn't discovered the rest of why Kayla hid her real name.

"We gotta go and meet Abby again, she's got some information on a friend of mine."

"Yeah, no problem." I said as I got back in the truck and drove us to the University again.

Leaning against the car, I let them have their conversation in private but I could still hear due to me only being 2 ft away.

They both seemed angry like they both hated the same thing but I didn't think they had known each other that long. I thought their situation was more of a track for extra cash kinda deal but apparently not.

Once they were done talking, Kayla gave Abby the rest of the money and got back into the truck, refusing to talk to me let alone even tell me where we were going. She typed in the address and I just followed the instructions, not wanting to interrupt her sulking.

"Gotta make a quick stop." Said Kayla as I pulled up outside a tall silver building.

The entrance was a pair of very clean glass sliding doors with a distinct symbol engraved on them. Once we had stepped inside, I could tell it was a very busy work place based on the amount of officers and detectives diving into free gaps to get to where they needed to go.

"Here, buy yourself some coffee, I won't be long." She said, handing me five dollars while she stared up at the stairs.

"The person I need to speak to is on the 10th floor." She said as she looked at me, waiting for me to take the cash.

"We better start climbing then." I said, looking back at her.

She let out a sigh before she walked off, dipping her head to avoid eye contact or even just contact with people. The steps were a gun metal grey with a silver banister that had slightly tinted glass with the engraving etched into it.

Finally we reached the tenth floor and I was panting, ready to sit down. Hopefully wherever we are going, they'll have chairs and some water.

"You wish you had taken the chance to get coffee, don't you?"

"Yeah. I really regret coming up here."

"Well, it's for a good reason."

"Does it help our case?"

"No but it helps mine."

"Alright."

The floor was carpeted, which was odd for a police building but they were of high class, so they must have the best floors. Right?