09. An Eye for an Eye

2 x 07 - Masquerade

As it turned out, Katherine did have many backup plans

As it turned out, Katherine did have many backup plans. The one she had decided to use in retaliation for Mason's death was to compel Jenna to kill herself. The incident caused a scare but luckily, Jenna had survived the stab wound in her stomach.

Caroline was at the boarding house with two of the Salvatore siblings. The blonde vampire had shown up in a frenzy after Katherine had cornered her in the Mystic Grill.

"Here." Damon handed Caroline a glass of blood. She sat next to Rosalie who rubbed a comforting hand on Caroline's shoulder.

"I'm still shaking," Caroline stated as she took the glass with a grateful smile.

She took a sip of her drink and Stefan walked into the room. "What happened?" He asked.

"Go ahead, tell him," Damon encouraged the girl and then turned to his brother. "You're gonna love this."

"I saw Katherine today," Caroline revealed.

"Where?"

"At the Grill. I just stopped by to gawk and...quasi-stalk Matt." Caroline looked down sheepishly. "I saw him and he acted super cold towards me, and that obviously threw me off so I just said whatever I thought of at the moment and..."

"Skip the teen drama and get to it." Damon rolled his eyes.

Rosalie glared at him and spoke his name as a warning. She then told Caroline to continue.

"Okay, then I had to pretend to use the bathroom even though I didn't have to go because I'm a doofus. That's where Katherine found me," Caroline explained to the siblings who listened to her story with peaked interest.

"She was pretending to be Elena but I knew Elena was home so I tried to leave, but she stopped me. Katherine said I needed to deliver you a message," The teen continued to recall the story nervously.

"What was the message?" Stefan inquired.

"She wants the moonstone or she will rip this town apart until it rains blood." Caroline almost shivered as she spoke.

"Tell him the rest of it," Rosalie encouraged softly.

"Tonight, at the masquerade ball."

Stefan sighed and paced in front of the fireplace. "She wants to do it in public. Killing Mason threw her off guard."

"She's running scared. What she did to Jenna was desperate. She's out of tricks," Damon added.

Rosalie shook her head in disagreement. Yes, Katherine hadn't expected them to kill Mason, but she had more than one trick up her sleeve. "We can't underestimate her. We have to play this smarter than she would."

"Can we just give her the moonstone so she'll leave?" Caroline interjected.

"No, Katherine's not getting dick," Damon exclaimed and he walked to stand in front of the couch where the girls sat. "I've had it. I'm gonna go to the masquerade ball and I'm gonna kill her, tonight."