20. The Burden of Knowledge

A faerie walker.

The very epitome of a terror inducing, dread inciting, world upending nightmare. As if the normal walkers weren’t bad enough, now I had to worry about my own kind coming back from the dead. My own kind. A kind that possessed the same – if not greater – strength, speed, agility, and senses that I did.

A kind that would overpower any human that came against it.

#

When we awoke that morning, it was to an eerie and haunting silence.

We broke through the front door in order to exit the factory. Once outside, the sunlight illuminated the reality of what had happened. The walkers hadn’t abandoned us entirely. They’d gathered by the other end of the carpark, near the tree line that lead to a wide forest.

The sound of shattering glass had alerted them to our presence once again, though they were thankfully far enough away for us to make it safely back to the truck without much issue, only having to clear a handful that had wondered into our path.

I was shaken and weirdly upset for the majority of our drive back to the prison.

For some reason, everything that had transpired within the factory had felt almost personal. As if I’d known that walker. As if I grieved its death. It didn’t make sense to me, not entirely. I understood that knowing my kind were just as susceptible to the virus as the rest of the populace had made me uneasy. But there was something else.

Something more behind the revelation that I couldn’t put my finger on. Had it shown me the potential ending of my story? Is that why I was so disturbed? Or was it because I had yet to come up with a valid explanation as to why that one particular biter had been so… strong? So fast and nimble?

Daryl hadn’t pushed the question and for that I was thankful, but he was a dime in a dozen. Others would want to understand, would want to know how to fight against it.

The existence of faerie walkers made me feel as if my secret was teetering on the edge of an already unsteady fence.

Not only that, but the reality of how dangerous those things were… Even I had struggled against it. What would happen if we happened upon another near the prison? It would tear through everyone with little effort.

Perhaps that was what shook me. The potential calamity the existence of fae walkers posed. It was enough to make my head spin.

Daryl noted my strange shift in mood. He kept looking at me as we drove, glancing back and forth between the road and where I sat, crunched up into a partial ball in the passenger seat, gazing blankly out the window at the passing scenery. I could feel his concerned eyes on me every so often.

Neither of us spoke for over half of the drive. The only reason I said anything was because it had come to my attention that we had passed the halfway mark where we had swapped drivers last time.

“You going to stop?” I asked with a frown, turning partially in my seat to look at him.

Daryl looked over to me with a small frown creasing the skin between his brows. “Nah, it’s a‘right. You sleep.”

I straightened out of my ball, placing my feet down in the footwell and turning my body to face him entirely. “You barely slept, too.”