38. The Hum of the Machine

“You didn’t think that through at all, did you?”

I peered down into the darkness of the elevator shaft, at the pile of dead-dead bodies at the base of it. The sound of groaning echoed, bouncing against the concrete walls encasing them. “I thought it’d be cool, alright?”

Claire gave me the pursed lip look of a disappointed politician. “Cool doesn’t get us out of here.”

I gestured down to the writhing mass of bodies. “I could probably jump down there and kill the not-dead ones.”

“Without getting bitten?”

I lifted a hand, flattened it out and tipped it side-to-side to indicate the chances were about 50-50.

She scoffed again. “No. Absolutely not.”

I opened my mouth to make a joke about her secretly caring about me, but she snapped another line before I could get a word out.

“I can’t have you dying and leaving me stranded up here again. Have you tried the stairs?”

I let out a breath through my nose, straightening and stepping away from the elevator. “You know that song Stairway to Heaven? We here have the Stairway to Hell.”

“You can just say it’s not an option.” Claire gave me a pointed look.

“Why would I do that when being a sassy bitch is just so much more fun?” I remarked with a wide grin.

She just scoffed once again and turned away from me.

I watched her from the corner of my eye for a moment before my gaze locked on the window at the end of the hall. It led to the front courtyard where the others were waiting. Claire had been hitting that glass in the classroom pretty damn hard when she’d been trying to get our attention. That, along with the fact that it was a university and the way the pane bent the light, led me to believe it was likely Safety Glass. I’d need something with a lot of force but a small surface area to break it. Something like a hammer.

I spun on my heel and made my way back to the room Claire had barricaded herself within and began to scope through the bench of medical tools I’d spotted earlier. My hope faded rather quickly when I realized the instruments were all light and compact. They’d be useless against safety glass. No, I needed something sturdy. Something manoeuvrable.

My gaze slid across to the gurney.

An idea began to form in my mind.

A very stupid one. But, maybe… just stupid enough to work.

#

“I cannot believe you think this is going to work,” Claire sighed as she halfheartedly gripped the right side of the gurney whilst I fastened the straps at the end of the solid top.

“Have a little faith,” I breathed, crouching down at the front of the gurney and flicking the tip of my dagger to ensure it was held tightly in place. Taking a step back, I admired my handiwork with a grin. I had fixed my knife to the front of the gurney, holding it in place with a series of straps tied to the portable bed’s metal legs. Looking to my companion, I gestured at my work of art with a grin. “Behold, a gurney-corn.”