25. A Small Reprieve

The kids name was Mason.

He was a nice enough guy, to be fair, and rode in the back of the truck with the bricks without complaint. Honestly, I doubted he would have complained if we’d strapped his ass to the roof, so long as we brought him to food. The other guy hadn’t faired so well.

Once he’d recovered from his head injury, he’d done nothing more than spit insults in our direction and threaten to “take your bitch out back and make a dog of her”. Malcom had had to physically restrain Daryl after that particular comment. I remained standing a fair distance from him, my mask of cool indifference the only thing hiding the cold rage inside me.

Once Malcom had Daryl partially calmed, taking him over to the side of the truck, I stepped up to the man who had proclaimed himself “Jorge” and slid my knife slowly up through the base of his chin, through his lower jaw, and up into his brain. Thankfully, none of them caught the sheer viciousness of that moment, but they turned back just in time to see his body fall to the ground by my feet.

Daryl met my gaze evenly. Malcom looked shocked. Mason still just looked scared.

I shrugged. “What? Did you want to bring him back, too?”

Malcom shook his head, looking to Daryl for back up. He didn’t give him any.

“You didn’t have to kill him,” Malcom said.

“Yeah, she did,” Daryl sighed.

The older man turned to him, aghast. “Why?”

“Because he’d find us,” I stated simply, cleaning the knife on my jeans before sheathing it back in my thigh holster. “If we’d left him here and taken the kid, he wouldn’t have remembered us very fondly for that. And men like him don’t often leave well enough alone when they should.”

There was a moment of pause whilst I stepped past them both, pushing the lip of the tray back up and locking it in place.

“Not everyone is the Governor,” Malcom said, so softly I don’t think he’d actually intended for me to hear.

But I had.

I whirled on the old man, eyes colder than ice as I glared up at him. “And you’d be willing to take that chance, would you? Willing to put everything back home at risk for your own peace of mind?”

“Not all of us are comfortable with cold-blooded murder,” Malcom snapped.

“The Governor was,” I responded pointedly.  

That made him stutter slightly, his gaze dropping back to his boots for a moment as his hand came up to clutch that necklace. His knuckles turned white.

I didn’t wait around for him to put together a response. Turning in place, I gestured for the kid to get in the back and walked over to the driver’s side door. Daryl came up to the window as Malcom huffed something unintelligible and began to make his way around the back to the passenger’s side.

“You alright?” he asked softly.

I nodded. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

He clenched his jaw but didn’t answer. We both knew why. But we both also knew that I didn’t particularly want to talk about it.