33. A Sacrifice of Mind

For a horrifying few moments, I was convinced Daryl was about to make me ride in the truck with Claire.

He was pissed at me, that much I knew, giving me that pouty frown of his every time our gazes met whilst we readied our group for the journey. I understood why. I’d hurt his feelings by insinuating he’d purposefully invited Mason along just to get the kid in trouble. Of course, I hadn’t really meant it. And I was pretty sure he knew that, but the fact I’d said it at all had really irked him.

I owed him an apology. I’d admit that. All that frustration, the grief I was biting back, the anger constantly simmering beneath my skin, had seeped through and I’d taken it out on him. Which had been equal parts and stupid. He was probably the only person that could quell this turmoil inside me.

God. What I wouldn’t give for a damn hug. Fuck, I’d even settle for an accidental hand grazing at this point. But, no. He was too pissed to even really look at me right now.

The only time I’d felt his gaze on me was when Mason arrived. The kid trailed behind Bob, who’d been sent to fetch him, looking nervous as hell as he approached. His eyes wouldn’t focus on anything, flickering from left to right, as if he were too afraid to lock eyes with anyone.

I stayed where I was, leant against the slim black sedan that had once belonged to Zach – “spiritually, at least”, as he’d say – and stared at the kid until he slipped up and caught my gaze.

Everything I wanted to say was written plain as day across my face.

One brow raised, lips pulled in a tight line, I pushed off the car and took a few steps towards him. Mason’s shoulders tightened and he stuttered to a stop, head tilted downward, his nervous air shifting to one of regret.

He had that kind of look one often got when they knew they were about to be Lectured by an authority figure.

“What in the name of holy fuck are you thinking, kid?” I hissed at him.

Bob, still walking up beside him, took in a sharp breath before clearing his throat and awkwardly pointing toward where Michonne was approaching, carrying a pair of jerry cans. “I’m, uh… I’m gonna go help her. Carry the… Yep.”

I waited until he had scampered off out of ear shot to continue. “You hadn’t been exposed, you moron. Why would you risk it?”

Mason chewed his lower lip and glanced down at his boots with a slight frown. “People are dying.”

“And what, you didn’t think the list was long enough, so you thought to add to it?” I took a step closer to him, tilting my head whilst I regarded him with a narrowed gaze. “The point is to avoid the dying part, not barrel towards it.”

At that, Mason’s head snapped back up, a muscle in his gaunt twitching as he clenched his teeth. “Coming from you.”

I snorted. “I’m a unique story, kid.”

“Maybe,” he admitted with a nod, though the sudden hardness to his expression didn’t fade. “But I have as much of a right to risk my life as you do. These people took me in. If there’s something I can do to help them, I’m going to do it. Know why? Because you would.” He thrust a hand forward to point at me. “I’m not as fragile as you think I am. I’m a survivor. And I can fight!” A pause. “Well, kinda. You taught me shit, right? I remember it. And I can shoot! I can definitely shoot, right? You know I can. And I will. Point me anywhere, I’ll shoot anything, I’ll even –“