Chapter 18

You sat next to John eating dinner quietly, you broke the silence with a question. "So, Rachel Larimer? Where did you come up with that?" He shrugged, "I dunno, I always thought if I had a daughter I would name her Rachel. Larimer was my mother's name before she married my father. 'Least that's what he told me, Just something I thought of at the moment." You smiled, "Hum, Rachel Marston. I like that." He nodded with a "Mmm hmm." before continuing his meal. Man, he was really upset about those horses.

As you slept next to John you were quickly woken up by a wave of pure nausea. You jumped out of the bed, running out and behind the tent. You keeled over and vomited, breathing heavily you sat down as sweat beaded your forehead. "Shit, that ain't too good." A voice said from a tree. You squinted to look in the dark, but before you could tell who it was, Micah emerged from the shadows. "You sick? Or have you got a little Johnny Marston in there?" he teased, you sighed looking up at him. "I-I don't know, but you can't tell him anything until I know for sure. Please Micah." You begged "Oh, your little secret is safe with me." he said laughing and walking away.

You collected yourself and walked back into the tent, John sat up as you walked in. Groggily he asked, "What are you doing?" You became nervous, "Oh-I uh was just uh-." Why couldn't you think of a lie? Think y/n, think! "Y/n?" John asked now confused and slightly concerned. "I-I couldn't sleep...I was looking at the water." John cocked his eyebrow, "Looking at the water?" You swallowed and nodded. "Okay..." He said laying back down. You joined him on the bed, he held his arms around you breathing softly into your neck. You felt scared, what if Micah was right? What if you are pregnant? It would make sense, you thought of your last period and it had been a while since you remembered having it. Bringing a child in this world? In this gang? You couldn't subject an innocent child to the life their father lives.

You laid quietly looking at the ceiling of the tent for the rest of the night. You watched the sun rise and peak through the gaps in the tent. John began to stir and you quickly shut your eyes, not wanting him to know you had been awake the entire night. He got out of bed following his daily routine of retrieving your cup of coffee. You sat up tiredly, you were exhausted from worrying about the potential child at hand. You then heard "Hey, Marston." From outside the tent, it was Micah. Oh God, please don't tell him. You jumped up and out of the tent, looking around to find John and Micah talking by a tree. You sped walked over, intervening in the conversation. You took your cup of coffee from John's hand and then took his hand walking him away from Micah giving Micah a death glare as you left. He began to laugh heartily as the two of you walked away.

"What are you doin'?" John said slightly laughing. "N-Nothing, I-I just...missed you." He looked at you with concern and confusion once again. You couldn't keep up this lie any longer. Maybe you should just tell him, he could come with you to the doctor it would be nice to have his support through this. The two of you walked into the tent, you were going to tell him. You sat next to him on the bed, "Okay, John. I-I." You sighed, you couldn't get the words out. John looked at you extremely confused. "What's wrong y/n?" You looked up and sighed, "I-I think I'm pregnant..." John dropped his coffee cup, straight onto his feet. "Son of a bitch!" He said standing up grabbing a nearby rag to wipe the coffee.

"Pregnant!?" He said raising his voice. You shushed him "Keep your voice down!" You demanded quietly. "I haven't had my period in a while and I got sick last night that's why I was up. Micah saw me and put two and two together. I didn't want him to be the one to tell you." He stared at you dumbfounded. "John, say something." He smiled slightly, "We're having a baby?" You felt tears brim your eyes. "I think so." He picked you up off the bed wrapping his arms around you spinning. You wrapped your legs around him as he laughed into your neck. He put you back on the ground. "Do, we- are we supposed to see a doctor?" he asked. "I think so?" John began to dig through the shared chest of your clothes. "Well, let's go! I gotta know if it's for sure!"

After you dressed yourselves you headed out for Rhodes. John decided it was best if you rode with him, so he could keep you safe. Safe from what? You weren't sure but you still loved his protection over you. You arrived in Rhodes and felt nervousness overwhelm you. What if you weren't pregnant? What if you got John all excited for nothing? You began to breathe faster, John could feel your breath quicken. He rubbed the sides of your arms, "Hey. It's all gonna be okay, just calm down." He hitched his horse outside the office. Helping you down he took your hand and opened the door. You walked inside and the doctor greeted you asking how he can help you.

You tried to speak but no words came out. "Sorry she's a little nervous, we're pretty sure she's....pregnant." John spoke for you squeezing your hand. The doctor smiled, "Oh lovely!" He took you back into his office and sat at his desk taking yours and Johns information. "So what makes you believe you're pregnant?" You explained your symptoms as John held your hand stroking his thumb over your knuckles as you spoke. The doctor wrote in his notebook before closing it. "Well, with my understanding of your symptoms. I believe you are pregnant!" The doctor explained that you would be about 5 weeks along. After discussing with the doctor you and John left the town. You were both silent with shock on the ride back. You arrived back to camp and sat at the table, John finally broke the silence, "A baby. Our baby." He said holding your hands. "Hot damn."