Part 6

The attack was, in word, absurd. An endless army of zombies came from seemingly every direction.

The only thing crazier was the Captain of the Crimson Lions.

"Flame Creation Magic: Leo Rugiens!"

The flaming lion they were riding roared, a blast of fire shooting from its mouth at everything in its way, incinerating all the zombies.

Noelle looked around before she caught sight of something that made her heart stop.

Asta was bleeding, swinging wildly to block a hail of attacks from his opponent and protecting a little girl from being attacked.

As if on instinct, she raised her wand. "Naga's Nest!"

A dome of water appeared over the two of them blocking the attacks.

I can't let him get hurt, Noelle thought. If I do I...

Wait. Is my reason for saving him really so selfish?

She had no time to dwell on the thought as a horde of zombies jumped at her from the side. And then they were immediately burnt to a crisp.

She looked to the side where Fuegoleon nodded. "Good job, but don't let yourself get endangered like that."

Noelle blinked before looking at Asta who looked back at her and nodded. She lowered her wand letting Naga's Nest fall before recasting it on just the girl.

"Stay safe Bakasta!" She ordered. "And take him down."

"Will do!" He yelled back before charging at the horde of zombies rising from the ground. A horde that was immediately burnt to bits by Leopold.

"I've come to your aid rival!" He yelled. "Give that Slimeball a taste of your sword! Show him what you're made of!"

"Right! Thanks for the assist!" Asta yelled, wondering who he was.

The extra-large zombie he was fighting began firing more attacks.

Asta pulled out both of his swords and spun, deflecting them all as he rushed forward. With a mighty swing, he cut the zombie down before looking up at the man who had caused all the damage.

"What. Jimmy! Why did you go down from such an attack?"

"Stop Bitching!" Asta yelled. "Stop hiding behind these things and step up to the plate yourself!"

Yeah, Noelle thought. We can win this.

///////////////////////////////

The fight was going horribly.

Fuegoleon was dying and they were surrounded.

This couldn't get worse, she thought as she focused on patching up the captain.

"Is that...?" a female voice asked.

Noelle turned to see that one of the robed enemies was pointing at her. "It is." She said sounding shocked.

It took Noelle a second to realize that she wasn't pointing at her, but at the barrel on her hip attached to her belt.

"You recognize it?" Noelle asked. That should have been impossible. She had had painted it silver with the Black Bull logo and added several pieces of trim to make it unrecognizable.

"Of course I recognize it. I invented it."

Noelle blinked.

"It was a little thing I invented to gather some funds. Water magic that can be shrunk and kept for later consumption. I wasn't exactly pleased by the use, but people buy it. But to carry it around so brazenly. You're a lot freakier than you look."