7|Alone

Even though the doors to Jihoon's room remained shut, Jeongwoo visited his brother everyday. He came every morning to knock on the door and greet him. There would be no response but Jeongwoo would continue on visiting his brother's door, he would tell his brother stories, ideas and plans of what they could do each day together. He missed playing with his brother. Every unanswered requests and every rejection Jeongwoo would receive broke his heart day by day. But Jeongwoo was an optimist, so no matter how many times Jihoon would shut him out, he would always come back with a new hope inside of him each day where he believes one day his brother would open the door to him.

Especially when the snow started to drape their kingdom once again, Jeongwoo would eagerly ask his brother if he wanted to build a snowman with him. His memories told him that he and brother both loved winter so much that they always went outside to play. Jeongwoo thought that this could maybe entice his brother into coming out of his room.

"Hyung?" Knock. Knock. "Do you want to build a snowman? Come on let's go and play! I never see you anymore. Come out the door. It's like you've gone away. We used to be best buddies. And now we're not. I wish you would tell me why. Do you want to build a snowman? It doesn't have to be a snowman." Jeongwoo sang.

"Go away, Jeongwoo." Jihoon replied rather coldly.

"Okay, bye." Jeongwoo walked away dejected.

From behind the door, Jihoon looked regretful. He listened carefully to all of Jeongwoo's stories. It made him happy to know and feel his brother's presence nearby. But every time Jeongwoo would request he come out of the door, the fear would grab Jihoon's chest. His mind would replay every single time the accident that almost caused his brother's death. The accident in which he almost caused an end to Jeongwoo's life. If his brother had not been saved...Jihoon would never forgive himself. It reminded him every day of the danger he possessed. Jihoon slowly felt he was only a danger to his brother. The fear kept growing inside of him. It got worse day by day. He feared himself. He feared his powers. What once he thought was a magical gift felt like a curse to him. He never used his powers anymore. But despite him not calling forth or summoning his magic, it would unleash itself without his consent. This made Jihoon question if he was truly capable of controlling it.

The winter scenery was visible to him through the giant window in his room. He loved and missed the graceful display of snowflakes falling. He wanted to get a closer look and touched the railing with his naked hand. To his shock, the second he placed his hand on the wooden surface, the railing was quickly coated with ice. Jihoon gasped and backed away from the window. He looked at his hands in disbelief over how his powers always got out of control nowadays.

The king would always visit his eldest son to check up on him while the queen made sure to keep their youngest company. Both parents knew and were aware of the untimely drift this was causing between the two brothers that were so close. They did their best everyday to help Jihoon be able to control his magic. They were doing their best to ensure both brothers aren't alone.

When Jihoon shared to his father about his magic turning the railing into ice when he touched it with his bare hand, the king thought of giving him gloves to help conceal it. He returned to his son's room, with gloves carefully handmade with thick material and were a perfect to fit to both of Jihoon's hands.

Jihoon felt a sense of relief when the gloves made his hands warm. He was able to feel the fear inside lessen as his father's larger hands encased his own.

"The gloves will help. See...Conceal it." His father said.

"Don't feel it." Jihoon added.

"Don't let it show." The father and son said together.