Prologue: The Girl Next Door.

[Kiyo]

"It's been a long time. Kiyotaka... were you at that place the whole time?" She looked at me with fear in her eyes as she recalled the past. Judging by her father's reaction, she was scared of the mention of the White Room.

"For 14 years, I've been there. Today is the first time I've been outside."

"I knew you were great, Kiyotaka... What about the other kids? Did they
leave in the past?"

"Well, they all left so soon. I've been the last one for years now. I don't
know."

I never cared about the ones who dropped out, including the kid in front of me.

"Alone... Always in that place...? I-I... I, that, that place... I...!"

Yuki's body began to tremble as if the fear she had been suppressing was swelling up.

"Yuki, stop remembering!"

Yuki was distraught as she dug up her memories. Was this how miserable a
person who's dropped out of the White Room could be?

The one thing I understand was that she must be the daughter of a well- known businessman.

All I know is that she was treated with respect after she dropped out. But the fact that she's going to counseling shows that she hasn't healed from the trauma.

And one of the healing methods was to meet with me, who was also in the
fourth generation... I guess...

Now that I know what's going on, I have no further use for this place.

"I have to go."

"Wa-wait! I finally got to meet you! I want to talk to you more—a lot
more!"

"I'm sorry, but I have nothing to say to you, Yuki."

If she couldn't talk about the White Room, we couldn't have a conversation.

"Please, Ayanokouji-kun, can you talk with Yuki for a while? Yes, any conversation is fine. A simple, insignificant conversation..."

"What do you mean by 'insignificant conversation'? You do understand that I'm new to the outside world, right?"

"That's..."

"Of course, I can tell her a story that's full of lies if you want. I am willing to force myself to make something up to the best of my knowledge, whether it's about Japan or the rest of the world. But that's not what you want, is it?"

"I-I'm fine. Even if it is made up or not, as long as I can talk to you, then it is fine! Please..."

Yuki, tugging my arm as I was about to leave, looked at me with teary eyes.

It was an unexpected response from her.

Perhaps, a little detour wouldn't sound half bad. After all, Yuki has some years of experience in the outside world. I could use her talkative nature to tell me more what it's like to live in the outside world compared to the White Room.

Talking about the outside world would at least, still holds the possibility of curiosity.

"If you insist. Although I wouldn't exactly promise you I'd give you a good conversation."