Part 2: Chapter 83

"Can you believe it, isn't she just stunning?" inquired Islam nonchalantly while slipping into the dresses Zaynab had picked out. Firdausi lounged on the edge of her bed, engrossed in conversation with Mubarak.

The Thursday morning sun streamed through the window blinds, casting a warm glow that she welcomed.

"Are you even paying attention?" Islam questioned, her shoulders lifting in a shrug. She looked chic in a peach fitted gown that hugged her curves, exuding elegance fit for the women-only soirée.

"Indeed, the dress suits you well," Firdausi remarked absentmindedly, her gaze fixed on her phone, exuding a flirtatious smile. Clad in a black bralette and yesterday's pajamas, she hadn't bothered with a shower, prompted by Islam to assess the dresses as her trusted critic. Amidst the wedding preparations, Firdausi remained disinterested, engrossed in her phone, exchanging messages with Mubarak.

Islam huffed furiously, as if on the brink of exploding, then grabbed the pillow from the side of the bed and flung it at Firdausi's face. "Hey!"

"I didn't invite you here to be chatting with your man. Come on, Firdausi," Islam exclaimed angrily.

"Wait, am I here to check out the dresses or listen to your Sabrina stories again? This is like the hundredth time. Sabrina did this, Sabrina did that, dude, chill," Firdausi emphasized, rising to her full, impressive height. "I better go finish some work. Abba asked me to be there by nine."

"Or are you off to see him?" Islam taunted.

"Get over yourself. By the way, the dress looks amazing. I bet Usman's gonna have a blast," she added before striding out of the room, leaving Islam to ponder, "Do you think I'm gaining weight these days?"

But Firdausi had already left the room. She stood by the mirror, assessing her appearance and feeling uncertain, as if she wasn't quite prepared. Doubts nagged at her, as if she wasn't making the right decisions for herself.

"For better or worse," she murmured under her breath and began to remove the dress.
**

Firdausi sat at her desk, engrossed in reviewing business contracts with their latest investors in the construction industry. Dressed in a navy blue tweed oversized suit with a hijab, she exuded a blend of professionalism and style.

A message flashed on her phone from Mubarak, 'I'll pick you up for lunch with Ummi'. Despite the attempt at normalcy, Firdausi couldn't shake off the unease in her stomach. The transition of Madina from her aunt to her soon-to-be mother-in-law felt strange, eliciting a cringy sensation within her.

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts, and she responded, "come in."

"Salamualaikum," greeted Zara as she entered, dressed in a pinstripe suit with a hijab.

"Wa alaikumusalam," Firdausi replied, folding her hands and waiting for Zara to speak.

"Madam, you have a visitor. She said she's an old friend," informed Zara.

"An old friend? What's her name?" inquired Firdausi.

"She didn't mention it because she said you won't let her in," Zara emphasized. Firdausi sighed and instructed, "let her in."

As she leaned back in her swivel chair, her fingers swiftly moved across the keyboard of her MacBook, sending details to the constructors.