Part 2: Chapter 89

Islam was on the verge of stepping into her car when a call from Tessie pierced through the air, her voice laden with tears, making it challenging for Islam to grasp the situation.

"I'm on my way," she assured, casting a fleeting glance at Usman, who had stormed out of the house. Despite her urge to chase after him, her friend's distress took precedence over everything else.

She swiftly maneuvered the car out of the garage, her heart heavy with apprehension about Taslim. The intensity of Tessie's cries mirrored a past anguish, akin to the sorrow of losing Suhaila in the tragic fire, but now, it seemed even more profound.

Arriving at Ali's house as directed by Tessie, a chill crept down her spine, and her pulse quickened as she entered the house with trepidation.

Taslim sat on the sofa, tears streaming down her face, her body racked with sobs. Clutching the throw pillow tightly, she sought solace in its embrace.

"What's wrong, Taslim?" Islam inquired urgently as she entered the living room.

"It's Ali," Tessie whispered amidst her tearful hiccups.

"What happened to Ali?" Islam's question hung in the air, accompanied by the shattering sound of her phone meeting the unforgiving marble floor, a resonant echo of her own shattered heart.

"He choked on his coffee and is now in the ICU in a coma," Taslim explained tragically, her voice heavy with emotion.

"What will happen to him now? Has he regained consciousness?" Islam asked, her concern evident as tears welled up in her eyes.

"It was like he... died right in front of me. His body turned cold before my eyes," Taslim cried, reliving the harrowing moment.

Sabrina, who had just entered the room with a sleepy look on her face, interrupted, "What happened to my father?" The room fell silent as Islam and Taslim exchanged solemn glances before turning back to Sabrina, their expressions reflecting the weight of the situation.

**

He arrived quicker than usual, pushing the car to its limits in top gear, fueled by a relentless anger consuming his thoughts. The care he felt for Ali was a burden he despised, a sentiment he couldn't shake.

Even if eternity stretched before him, he vowed to nurture his hatred for Ali. The brother who shared only blood ties, never the bond of true kinship, and yet was hailed as the family's golden child. Their parents' favoritism towards Ali, especially their mother's unconditional love, stung Usman deeply, leaving him feeling like an outsider in his own family.

"He's in grave danger!" Khadija's cries pierced the air, prompting Usman to envelop her in a protective embrace. Despite her petite frame, she found solace in his chest, seeking comfort amidst the chaos.

"What about Mom?" Usman inquired gently, guiding Khadija back as she wept.

"Nobody knows. She's always anxious. We'll update her once he wakes up," Khadija replied through her tears.

"If he does," Usman murmured, cradling her face in his hands.

"If he does," she echoed, clutching his hands tightly, tears streaming down her cheeks."

The doctor emerged after what felt like an eternity, beads of sweat glistening on his forehead as he removed his surgical gear. His enigmatic expression piqued their curiosity, urging them to inquire eagerly.

"Shall we continue this in my office?" he proposed, leading the way as they trailed behind.

"What was the last thing he consumed?" Dr. Fadil questioned from his swivel chair.