Part 2: Chapter 93

Firdausi carefully balanced the tray of breakfast sandwiches, featuring flaky cinnamon bread as the "buns," and was about to knock gently on the door when Zaynab intervened, her voice firm but gentle. "Let me take it to her, and you ensure your suitcases are packed; we're leaving this evening. We can't afford any delays."

Firdausi handed over the tray, her eyes cast downward. "Yes, Mama."

Zaynab stood outside the door, jingling the keys in her hand before entering. The room was dimly lit, like a dungeon, with window blinds still drawn. Islam lay on the praying mat, meditating, her burgundy khimar and nightgown a stark contrast to the darkness. It was 6 a.m., and she had barely slept, her mind racing with thoughts of Ali and Usman.

"Salamualaikum," Zaynab greeted softly, setting the tray on the bedside table. Islam slowly rose from the mat, her eyes red-rimmed from lack of sleep.

"Eat your food," Zaynab said, her voice firm but gentle. "You need your strength."

Islam's eyes welled up with tears. "Why are you doing this, Mama? Why are you forcing me into this marriage?"

Zaynab's expression turned stern. "You must understand, it's for our own good, to avoid humiliation. We can't have everything fall apart now. What would people say? Your father's legacy..."

Islam's voice trembled. "Is this about your campaign in the Ministry? You're not my mother; you're someone else - self-centered."

Zaynab's voice turned cold. "Don't use that word again. I've built my reputation, Islam, and I won't let you ruin it. You're just a pawn in this game."

Islam's words spilled out in anguish. "He cheated, Mama! Usman cheated on me!"

Zaynab shrugged carelessly. "It doesn't matter. Men cheat; you'll get used to it. Your father cheated on me too. It's just the way they are."

Islam recoiled, shocked. "How could you say that about my father? He's not like that!"

Zaynab crossed her arms, her eyes flashing. "I'm your mother, Islam, and I know what's best for you. You're blinded by Usman's love, but I see the truth. You've stopped loving him, not just because of the cheating."

Islam's secret was almost exposed, and she felt ashamed. Zaynab's words cut deep, and she couldn't deny them.

Zaynab's eyes narrowed. "I know you, Islam. I know you're in love with Ali, not Usman. You've been blinded by your emotions."

Islam's face flushed with shame. "How did you know?"

Zaynab's voice turned cold. "I saw his picture under your pillow last week. Don't think I'm oblivious to your feelings. But I won't give you my blessing to be with him. He's an illegitimate child, Islam. He's not worthy of you."

Islam's voice trembled. "That's not fair, Mama. Ali is a good person. He deserves love and respect."

Zaynab's expression turned stern. "I won't discuss this further. You'll marry Usman and forget about Ali. It's for the best."

Islam felt a pang of sadness. She had hoped her mother would understand, but now she realized Zaynab would never accept Ali.

"What do you want from me, Mama?" Islam asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Zaynab's voice turned menacing. "I want you to obey me, to do as I say. I want you to marry Usman and forget about Ali. He's not good for you, Islam. He's a distraction."

Islam felt trapped, her heart heavy with sorrow. She wished for someone to confide in, someone to soothe her pain. But it was Allah she turned to, seeking solace in the Quran. She began reading Suratul Kahf, finding comfort in the words.