ii. ▬▬ goosebumps

╭──────────────────────╮

002 ▬▬ GOOSEBUMPS
𓄲 ࣪˖ 𓏲 › 4.2K WORDS

i saw satan laughing with delight
the day the music died

DON MCLEAN, ❛ american pie

╰──────────────────────╯

(rewritten may 11, 2024)

The following day, the doctors introduce her to her new prosthetic foot, but it isn't a topic of much interest for her. She yearns for home. She yearns for the whirring of the drill in her father's shop, the creaking of the floorboard at the Boardwalk, the fabric of a new dance costume, and even the feeling of a wet cotton pad against her supple skin as her brother wipes the make-up off her face.

She isn't surprised that the stump fits snugly, after all, Capitol technology does wonders. What does cause her surprise is that they didn't directly attach a new foot without permission. When she asks why they decide to go for this route, Dr. Vickers replies with, "Your mentor demanded it."

Demanded. Not asked politely.

Now that causes surprise.

The days following her victory are incredibly hectic. Nerissa hops from outfit to outfit, and catches up on her breathing each time she slips out of an excruciatingly tight corset.

First, is the recap.

She is thankful for the ocean blue jumpsuit Farlee made her wear, comforted by the soft and breathable fabric that clings to her body. Her hair is pulled back into a neat low bun to reveal the shark teeth earrings dangling from her ears, and a dainty pearl necklace rests around her neck.

They first show the Reaping. Her best friend, Helena, walks up to the podium with a tear-stained face after Nerissa pushes her out of the crowd and onto the aisle. They call her cruel for such a gesture. Davy gets reaped next; his expression is nearly unreadable, but one can be certain that he shows no fear. When Charmaine Cove asks for volunteers, Davy shakes his head rapidly as he stares ahead. Helena widens her eyes when Nerissa's hand shoots up, and it dawns on her:

Nerissa planned to volunteer all along.

The editors, however, are quick to make her seem like an eager contestant with a thirst for blood. Since the beginning, her character had been carefully crafted to appeal to the masses.

They follow Nerissa throughout her time in the Capitol, and she never realizes how much camera time she accumulated over the course of her Games. She fondly watches the Tribute Parade videos, seeing her and Davy on the chariots in their all-white get up. Nerissa with a darkened gaze on her face, and Davy with a confident, yet subtle smirk.