A Liar and a Magical Day

"Griffin," Alek greeted the young master of Speed. "We have an assignment for you. Once you complete it, you'll have your family back."

Griffin Turner looked at him, his lip bleeding from the training exercises he had just been forced to go through. "What is it?"

"We want you to join the ninja team and eliminate them all, expect for Cole."

"I'm not hurting them. They're my friends. I don't see them often, but they're my friends."

"If you do not comply, we will kill each and every one of your family in front of you."

Griffin swallowed thickly and nodded. "Yes, sir."

"Don't even think about telling them about us. We will know and there will be dire consequences."

Griffin spotted the bounty, chewing his lip. He didn't want to do this, but he didn't want his family to get hurt.

He didn't even know how they had gotten mixed up with these people, but they were worse than Chen ever was.

Why they wanted the ninja dead made sense. What didn't make sense was them wanting Cole to live. Did Cole have some kind of tie to these people?

He zipped through the streets of Ninjago, climbing up buildings to try and get the attention of whoever was driving the bounty.

Eventually, the bounty lowered a ladder and let him aboard.

Griffin was greeted by Nya and Kai, both of them seeming tired and worried.

"Hey, long time no see."

Griffin nodded. "Could I stay here for a while? My house burned down and I'm looking for somewhere to live, I just need a place to crash while I do so," he lied easily, too easily in his opinion.

"Of course you can stay. You can take Jay's room. He and Cole are going to be sharing a room for a while."

"Why's that?"

"Cole's kinda going through some stuff and we want to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't do anything," Kai said simply. "Jay agreed to share a room with him."

"Oh."

"Anyway. Follow me. Kai'll explain what's going on with you to the others."

Griffin nodded and followed Nya.

Cole finally was out of the hospital and was on some pretty strong anti-depressants.

In truth, he was ashamed of his actions. How could he have let himself get so low?

Jay was the one who was picking him up. Everyone agreed that the two needed to talk things out. Even Nya, who after she read the note, thought the two needed to figure out their relationship before she and Jay go out on another date.

Cole walked outside, ripping off the wristband and tossing it into the trash, and looked around. His eyes landed on the shortest ninja, his stomach doing a summersault with joy. He walked over and tapped his shoulder.

"Excuse me, sir," Cole did a funny voice. "But could I possibly have an autograph? I'm a huge fan of your work."

"Not right now. I'm waiting—" Jay turned around and stopped his sentence. "Cole!"

Cole grinned at him. "Hey, Jay."

"That rhymed."

"How have you been?"

"Worried sick! Zane and I've been so busy, so I haven't been able to visit you."

"Busy with?"

"Zane thinks he found something huge that needs to get taken down. I've been helping him gather up info and figure out the puzzle."

"Oh. Well, I'm glad you're able to pick me up."

Jay nodded. "Everyone agreed that we have some things to figure out. Do you want to go to Chen's Noodle House?"

"Sure."

Jay and Cole sat down in the same booth they sat in over two years ago. Skylor spotted them and walked over.

"Hello, boys. What brings you two here?"

"We're hungry and wanted noodles. This is the best place for that."

She chuckled. "Well, don't worry about the bill. It's on the house tonight."

"Thank you so much!"

"Of course, you two have fun." Skylor waved and left.

Cole reached up, rubbing the spot where his ear had once been, and looked at Jay. He grabbed a plate of food. "Look, about the note—"

"Cole, we need to talk about it. We can't act like it didn't happen."

He looked down. "I know. I don't want to pressure you into anything. I know you're happy with her."

Jay smiled bittersweetly. "I am."

"That's why I haven't said anything. I don't want to come between you two again."

"Cole, that wasn't your fault. We figured out that that had all been because of the Overlord."

"But I'm—"

"Stop. I want to figure this out."

"What about Nya?"

"She and I talked about it a bit ago. She said that if I'll be happier with you that we can be together. I don't know what I want."

"Is this a trail date or something?"

"In a way, I guess."

Cole sighed and took a bite of food. They sat in silence for a while as both of them ate.

"Jay. I don't want to be together out of pity. I want, if we do become a thing, to be together because we both want this."

Jay looked at him, nodding. "I understand." He leaned forward, reaching his hand up to brush away a piece of rice that had gotten stuck to Cole's cheek. "I don't want to hurt you."

Cole's cheeks reddened. He could feel Jay's breath against his lips as Jay has yet to lean back. "I don't think you would ever hurt me on purpose."

"I don't want to," Jay's voice was barely above a whisper.

They stared at each other, both looking at the others lips then the others eyes then back at their lips.

"Jay...?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

Jay's cheeks tinted pink. "I think... I think I love you too."

"So, what did you decide to do?" Nya asked her boyfriend once he got home.

Jay looked at her. "I think I wanna be with him. Don't get me wrong, being with you has been amazing. But what's happened recently, I realized how little time I could have with Cole. I—"

"Jay, you don't need to explain. If he'll make you happy, I'm happy."

"Thank you." Jay hugged her. "Thank you. Thank you."

"Of course, Jay. Now, go make out with your boyfriend."

Jay blushed and ran off in look for Cole. He found him talking with Griffin.

"Oh, hey Griffin. Why are you here?"

"My house burned down and I'm staying here until I find somewhere new."

"Oh. Okay. Can I borrow Cole for a bit?"

"Of course." Griffin zipped away.

Cole looked at him. "Hey?"

Jay jumped up, pressing his lips against Cole's. Cole stumbled back before supporting Jay's weight and kissing back.

"Whoa. That was unexpected," he mumbled when they pulled away for air.

"I want to be with you."

"Really?"

Jay nodded. "Would you have me?"

"Yes!"