Chapter 6: Who he really is . . .

Nathan punched in a passcode into the elevator keypad. Soon the elevator began to move upward and the soft elevator music filled the silence. They both stood, soaking wet and tired. The elevators eventually halted to a stop and the doors opened to reveal a straight hallway that led to a tall mahogany door. He reached into his pocket, pulled out his keys and unlocked the door.

Nathan's apartment was covered in white. He had a white ceiling, white walls, white pillars (yes, pillars which stood 15ft tall near the balcony) and white furniture. There was also lots of glass. There were glass tables, winding glass stairs, a glorious glass chandelier, which hung in the dining room and humongous glass windows that covered walls. The glass windows revealed a beautiful terrace that over looked New York City. Scarlet couldn't believe her eyes. The busy and chaotic city she grew up in was now an array of lights that lit up the despondent night sky.

Although the gleaming aerial view had Scarlet caught, like a deer in headlights, she couldn't help but gravitate towards the grand piano, which was placed in the center of the living room's tanned wooden floors.

"You play?" she questioned as she made her way over to it.

Making his way over to the piano too, Nathan said, "Yes," as he lightly ran his fingers over the piano keys. Scarlet saw a fondness in Nathan's eyes, but suddenly it disappeared as a frown crossed his face, "But it's been a long time since I last played," he explained. Nathan closed the piano's fall board and retreated to the glass staircase. After a short while he returned with a pair of pajama bottoms and a white t-shirt.

"These are for you, Scarlet."

Scarlet looked down at the clothes in Nathan's hands and smiled, "Nathan, I don't need clothes. I can get clothes from my parents' house. Clothes that would fit, but thank you for the gesture."

"These'll fit you and it's not like I'll let you sleep in wet clothes."

Scarlet was shocked by Nathan's words. She took a step back and then froze. "What do you mean," she questioned.

"Scarlet, I'm not going to be your accomplice in a breaking and entering. It's best to just stay here for the night. I have a guest bathroom so that you can shower and a spare bedroom. Plus, I have dry clothes for you."

"I can't. Nathan, this is crazy. You're my boss and this is completely inappropriate on so many levels. So many levels," Scarlet turned around and scanned the room as she thought, "oh, god, I shouldn't even call you Nathan. Who calls their boss by their first name? Unprofessional people do. . . . . . I'm not unprofessional. I'm so sorry Nathan. . . Mr. Thane," she corrected, "but I have to go. Thank you for all your help but I have to go."

Scarlet walked over to the piano and grabbed her bag, which she had placed there. When she turned around Nathan was right behind her. She gasped in surprise. Scarlet never realized exactly how tall Nathan was until this moment. He was tall yet slender but he was also fit. Scarlet could tell that he worked out on a regular basis by the shirt he was wearing. He had on a classic white V-neck with a pair of dark blue jeans. Scarlet was trapped between the piano and Nathan. She had nowhere to go. Nathan's hands were rested at the sides of her waist. There was no way of escaping.

"Ms. Stevens we are not in the office. It is Saturday. I am not your boss, not for today. It is pouring outside and I would really like it if you had dinner with me. I didn't have lunch because I spent my afternoon driving around this crazy girl who locked herself out of her car. Would you like to join me for dinner or would you rather get arrested by the police for breaking into your parents' house? Need I remind you that I will not be assisting you in this crime, because I don't want to end up in the tabloids? If you'd like we could pretend that today didn't happen. I never saw you at Costco and you never left your apartment. How about that?" Nathan gazed down at Scarlet with intent.