41. Illy's system

🫧

🫧

THURSDAY
October 25, 2040
1:32 PM

"So...you and Dominik broke up after only two days? Is this for real?" Tanisha asked around a mouthful of cheese and salami.

Illy frowned down at her own slice.

If only her best friend knew how complicated things really were.

"Illy," The red haired girl leaned forward, reaching for another slice of pizza from the box on the coffee table, "What really happened between you two? You look dred."

Illy grimaced, "I just... I have no idea what to think or even believe anymore."

Attila was clearly a sadistic psychopath but Dominik was far scarier in his methods because Illy still couldn't tell if he was being genuine in his feelings or not.

Was he only a pawn in Attila's game?
Did he have his own agenda?

Or was his idea of love skewed too?

"He was always there for me and he made me feel so... seen? But he also betrayed me."

"Dominik betrayed you?" Tanisha seemed as if she was trying her best to follow and Illy swiped a tear from her cheek before she could see, nodding solemnly.

"It's all so confusing... I was just starting to believe that maybe things between us weren't completely doomed, and then, out of nowhere, this bomb just dropped that tore everything apart. Several bombs, actually."

"Wh'appened?" Tanisha's eyes grew wide as saucers and she was so focused on Illy that she dropped her slice of pizza, sauce-side-down on her lap, "Oh crap!" She groaned, grabbing a handful of paper towels.

"And Attila he... He said something to me that really chilled me to the bone, Tani. I'm still reeling from it."

"What? What did he say? Did he insult you again? Billionaire or not, you really need to start biting back, Illy. You should sue him for all he's got."

At this point, Illy's eyes had grown vacant, looking almost as if she was having intense war flashbacks while she continued to stare down at her unbitten pizza slice, "When he said it I... I really pictured what a life like that would be like and for the first time ever I was legitimately terrified."

Tanisha looked confused, "Wait, back up and start from the beginning? I think you lost me there, babes."

"I felt physically sick. I felt like... like my entire body had been turned into jello and then dumped into a pot of lava."

"Okayy, you've stopped making sense and I need to take a piss."

Illy sighed as she watched Tanisha hop to the bathroom before she stretched out on the couch, staring absently up at the high ceiling.