002 | VINEGAR & HONEY

CHAPTER TWO

████████████████████

╰┈➤ VINEGAR & HONEY

🏴‍☠️

Shame. A tough pill to swallow. A complicated emotion.

Unrequited love. The intricate weave of sadness, embarrassment, anger, and despair.

Forced unification under top-secret orders from the United States Navy? Hell.

She could sense his stare, his eyes penetrating her coat of armor like a sharpened sword. Even with Hangman's arms wrapped around her shoulders, she felt herself weaken with his glare.

At least, she assumed it was a glare, as she dare not turn toward him. Not yet.

But then, in the blink of an eye, the feeling was gone. The intense burning ceased, causing her to furrow her brow in confusion as Hangman released her from his grasp.

"It's good to see you, Mapes," he grinned, squeezing her shoulder before letting go of her completely. 

She was quick to alter her expression from confusion to sincerity, as she beamed in response.

"It's good to see you too," she agreed, twisting to face the other aviators huddling around them. It didn't go unnoticed by her that Rooster's presence had, in fact, disappeared.

"So, are you kids gonna grab a beer with us or what?" Coyote gestured toward the bar with a nod before nudging Rhythm with his elbow.

"Pshh you don't have to ask us twice," Data raised his arms, stretching the muscles along his arms and upper back. Data received the short straw...the dreaded middle seat on the flight across the country. To say he needed a beer was an understatement.

"I'm with Data, here," Rhythm agreed with a smirk, "and I sure as hell know Mary-Kate over there could really, really use a beer, ain't that right, Olsen?"

Maple narrowed her eyes at the young man and placed her hands on her hips. She was really regretting stepping foot in The Hard Deck. She felt her temperature rising in embarrassment. Everyone really needed to shut the hell up about her and start talking about something else. Anything else. She rolled her eyes in defeat and realized a faint sigh.

"Ain't that the truth," she responded, the corners of her mouth turning up into a small smile.

"Mary-Kate Olsen?" Phoenix raised her brows, "damn, that's a deep cut. And so fucking accurate!" She teased, wrapping her arm around Maple's shoulders.