004 | NEVER BE THE SAME

CHAPTER FOUR

████████████████████

╰┈➤ NEVER BE THE SAME

🏴‍☠️

Miramar, California
The Hard Deck
June 2018

"You know I'll always be your slave,
Til I'm buried, buried in my grave,
Ohhhhh honey, bring it to me,
Bring your sweet loving,
Bring it on home to me"

Sam Cooke, 'Bring It On Home To Me'

Another crooning special was brought to The Hard Deck by a pair of friends, bound together by Fighter Weapons School, both with a love for the musical classics.

The crowd gathered around the piano, beaming with amusement as the young aviators sharing the bench belted their hearts out. Whether a drunken stooper or a cry for attention, these two friends sure packed some pipes. Applause rang in a halo around them, their smiles widening enough to strain their cheeks, for those around them knew to never expect a dull moment with Galloway and Bradshaw.

Maple laughed, a boisterous belly laugh; the saccharine-sweet twinkle in her emerald eyes proved contagious, infecting the caramel eyes of her accomplice.

Rooster's smile mirrored the vitality of the blonde next to him, her vibrant smile casting a spell, forcing his worries to fade into the background. The golden rays of the evening sun pierced the window pane, casting delicate shadows along her face, her aura entirely glowing.

All he saw was her.

"Okay, okay, children," Rhythm announced, cutting between them, squeezing his body on the seat, and forcing Rooster to slide off the bench. "Papa's turn."

Rooster rolled his eyes, his smile never fading. As he slid off the edge of the bench, he extended his arm forward, hoisting Maple up along with him.

"Are you guys ready to rock?!" Rhythm shouted, now alone on the piano bench. He cracked his knuckles and took one last swig of beer before playing the first chords of Crocodile Rock. Although he wasn't much of a piano player, the group of enthusiastic bystanders exploded in cheers, egging him on nonetheless.

"And I think that's our cue," Rooster whispered in Maple's ear from behind, unknowingly the catalyst of a thousand tingles trickling down her spine.

She twisted her head back, noticing just how close he was. She could feel his breath on her neck. Her eyes wandered to his lips and for a fleeting moment, she thought he did the same.