Chapter 9- Warnings

"She found the room, sir

"She found the room, sir."

"What do you mean she found the room?" He asked from the other end of the phone.

"She figured it out. She got the code- they're down there right now."

"All of them?"

"Yes, sir."

There was a deep sigh followed by silence.

"When you get here, we will discuss this," He said, "Don't be late."

I pressed the gas harder and continued driving up the mountain.

It was almost eleven p.m., and I hadn't seen the kid or her handsome guardian since this morning.

The idiots were probably stuck in that office.

When I made it to the top of the mountain, I turned right off the road and went down.

Halfway to the bottom, I made a left and drove right onto the driveway on the back of the mountain.

After parking my car, I got out and walked up to the base.

The guards scanned my ID badge and let me in, where he stood in the lobby.

Mr. Alabaster Cardiff.

"In my office, now," He demanded.

Without waiting to see if I would follow, he turned around and started walking.

I followed close behind, knowing what would happen if I disobeyed his orders.

The elevator ride was filled with a silent tension as I kept my head down, Mr. Cardiff glaring at me.

When the doors opened, he stepped out and I followed.

As we walked down the long hallway, people on either side stopped what they were doing and bowed their heads respectfully.

I kept my head down too, not daring to make a noise.

When we got to his office, he shut the door and sat at his desk, motioning to the armchair parallel to him.

As I sat down, he stared at me, not saying a word.

A few minutes passed before I got the courage to speak.

"I'm sorry, sir, she wasn't supposed to figure it out- that dog of hers-" "Yes, blame it on the dog."

He wasn't happy, it was obvious in his tone.

I went quiet again to avoid angering him further.

"After all these years, you still can't follow a simple order." He shook his head in disappointment. "I told you keep an eye on Amanda and Bryan, you watched them for a week, then got lazy about it. They almost got to us because of that. Then I told you to watch Grayson, I trusted you to be more diligent this time. And what did you do? You let him get away with half a million dollars' worth of products. Now you can't even keep a stupid kid away from a hidden room."