Amanda Black: Soulmate.

To exact revenge you need a heart of stone and nerves of steel

To exact revenge you need a heart of stone and nerves of steel. Give an inch and you're lost.
Leon1692

This is a four part story. I hope you will enjoy reading it. Thanks.

~•~

The word soulmate is, in our age bandied about like a second hand emotion. Someone somewhere somehow, after having met the love of her life, has described him as her soulmate, and maybe they did connect on a deeper level than your average couple, and stayed married until thy kingdom came.

Suddenly everyone latched onto the word, and everyone was looking for their soulmate, and after we have found him/her, married them, hoping to find happily-ever-after, only to end up in divorce court after a few short-lived stormy years together. But happily-ever-after...what? Nobody has ever told us that.

Had some of us known the horror, sadness and disappointment that awaited us, we would never have taken the first step in that direction, or having taken it, would have proceeded with the caution of a kitten. Someone should have told us that a soulmate is for life - and beyond.

The soul, as described in various dictionaries, and defined by various sects and doctrines is considered the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal.

Let us have a closer look at the above definition and try to understand what impact it has on our lives and how we can avoid the pitfalls of that dangerous game called dating when we swipe left...or right on the latest dating app. It is unclear whether the definition concerning the spiritual part uses it in a religious context, but the spirit itself is an undefinable supernatural entity that is out of the reach of our five senses which are, touch, sound, smell, taste, and sight. And while on Earth, those are the only senses we have at our disposal to define the narrow limits of our material world.

...The immaterial part of a human being or animal... What is the immaterial part of a human being? And with what do we measure it? And how can we, without a shadow of a doubt, claim to know it is real and exist on this Earth? There are more questions than answers on that score.

Regarded as immortal... We as humans living on planet Earth have no evidence or physical data to support our conception of life beyond the grave where immortality presumably resides.

Taking the above into consideration, how and where do we start looking for something that does not exist anywhere on Earth? It is sheer insanity, and yet we believe the dream and pursue it until the illusion of our folly wakes us up at the age of thirty-eight in a wasteland of regret and bitterness.

Coupled with chasing this phantom, based on vague and incoherent abstractions, we, as children, were fed an unhealthy diet of fairy tales at bedtime about princesses and Prince Charming. Thrown into the mix is a tall dark handsome stranger who sweeps you off your feet, and, on horseback rides off with you into the sunset.