Hello

As someone who uses the big 3 Fanfiction sites, I've noted that many Wattpad users flock to AO3. Said users have no idea what they are doing and are even unknowingly breaking Terms of Service of AO3.

So I, someone who already switched, albeit not abandoned Wattpad, decided to make a guide, so that r/AO3 on Reddit doesn't complain again.

Because of constant questions on Reddit, constant complains about Wattpad users on Reddit and my own experiences when switching, I decided to make this guide for all who want to switch to AO3 or at least crosspost their Fanfiction.

This guide ranges from technical stuff, to TOS related things, to just how the user base works.

If this guide doesn't answer your questions, you have three options.

1. Ask me. I may not answer instantly or may not have an answer myself. In that case, consult the next two options.

2. Read the Q&A/TOS on the website. The Q&A probably would make this guide useless, but who of you plans to read it?

3. Option 2 will probably be the answer r/AO3 on Reddit will give you. Only consult the sub if my guide and the Q&A really have no answer. Seriously, read the Q&A after finishing the guide.

AO3 is volunteer run and financed though donations, so you need to have to change your expectations. First of all, no advertisements on that site! Rejoice!

And you need to be at least thirteen years old to create an account.

Please don't plagiarise works.

To avoid that someone accuses you of plagiarising your own work - yes, that can happen and that did happen to me - either name your AO3 account like your Wattpad account or create a Pseudonym on AO3. Let people know your works are posted elsewhere already. It saves you funny headaches.