Chapter Two

I wake suddenly by a kick to the leg; I spring up and attempt to block my face, but a hand reaches and covers my mouth. It is Gina, panting from adrenaline, she slowly raises a finger to her lips, indicating for me to stay quiet. She looks over to Michael, still sleeping like a baby. She leans close to my ear.

"I want to show you something" She whispers, my hearts begin to race and pound out of my chest. I feel the sensation of pins and needles on my lips, I fight the urge to kiss her, gazing into her eyes.

"Okay," I respond. I silently get up and follow her over to the river and into the depths of the forest. As we go further, I worry about Michael. What if he wakes up and we are gone? What if a Dasher or a Servant finds him all by himself?

"Hey, we should get back," I say.

"It's alright, we're almost there," she responds as she begins to walk faster.

"But what about Michael?" I worry.

"Michael will be fine, we won't be gone that long," she says.

"Gina!" I call out stopping in my trail. She turns around and faces me.

"If we don't go now, we might never see it again," She extends her hand out, trying to convince me to keep going.

"Take a risk," she whispers, but still not convinced, I take a step back.

"Look, years down the line and you go back and look to this day. Now you have a choice, you can look back and say to yourself 'Damn I should take her hand' or you can say 'Damn I'm so glad I did' The choice is you to make." She states. My heart starts pounding again, my lips feel that same sensation as they did before. So, I took a risk, and took her hand. That same luring smile comes to her face as she led me up a precipitous hill of trees to an open field.

"Close your eyes," she demands. I grin at her and acquiesce to her demands. A warm Prescence grabs my hand and slowly leads me further forward.

"Okay, you can open your eyes now," she says, as soon as I open my eyes, all I can see is a vast, green open field with an amazing sunrise right in the middle.

"Isn't it beautiful?" She asks, I look over to her and finally admit it to myself. There is nothing more beautiful than Gina. After realizing I have yet to answer her question, she looks at me. I do not know why, but I cannot look away from her, all I want to do is kiss her. Fell the warmth of her lips on mine, her smooth skin, everything. My heart begins to flutter again, my hands become clammy, and the sensation of pins and needles rush to my lips as she softly smiles shying away. I have never felt this way before, not for anyone. I wanted to kiss her so bad, but I know I should not. As I am contemplating whether to kiss her. I hear the rushing of leaves and grass in the distance.

"Dashers! Run Gina!" I yelled as I grabbed her arm and rushed her into the tree line, we ran on a steep hill, heading back over to our campsite. As we ran back, the anguished screech of a Dasher rang in my ears. When we got back to our campsite, Michael was gone. My heart drops as my chest tightly grips onto my lungs, where is he? Was he taken? Did he call out for me? Is he dead? All alarms go off in my head.

"Michael?" I called out, I rushed over to where I left him sleeping, he left his bag, knife, and sweatshirt. Everything.

"Michael!" I yell out, I hold his jacket close to me. A snap of a stick makes me grab his knife and aim in the direction of the noise. It is Michael, he puts his hands up fast and looks at us strangely.

"Uh, what's going on guys?" Michael asks, my chest loosens it grips on my lungs, I fast walk over to him and grab onto to him as letting him go will make him disappear again, finally allowing myself to breathe again.

"Where did you go, you scared me have to death, where did you go" I say as I grab his shoulders.

"I went to take a leak, where did you all go? I woke up and you all were gone?" he says,

"Look, there is a Dasher in the forest not too far away. So, we need to go, and we need to go now. Before a Servant Comes," Gina interrupts, we all agree and rush around to grab out things, before heading out I quickly re bandage Michael's arm.

"Okay, let's go>" I say, as we head out of the forest and onto the side of the road. We walked for at least three hours without one stop, until our feet stared to burn and blister.