Chapter Three

We entered a town and as usual, the whole town was quiet. We walk more into the town; I notice that the glass in the stores isn't shattered, and the cars aren't destroyed by Dashers. It's neat and clean as if the invasion never happened here.

"Where are we?" Michael asks, I walk up to the sign at the entrance of the town, not a speck of dust on it.

"I guess this will answer your question," I respond. 'Welcome to the town of Darwin, Utah' it reads.

"Look a mall! Just down the street!" Michael exclaims, pointing out a building in the distance. We decided to walk over, just before Gina could walk up to the censor of the door I stopped and grabbed her hand.

"What is it?" Gina questions, I slowly shake my head.

"I don't like this, its untouched, nothing's wrong with it," I say as I check the area for anyone watching us in the distance.

"Are you okay Ben?" Michael looks at me confused.

"Michael thinks about it, Its perfect. Too perfect, we've been in a lot of towns and not one of them had a perfect store without bodies in the parking lot and the windows smashed. It's a trap." I whisper a is back way from the door.

"Why don't we just go around back? Have an advantage for any trap," Gina suggests. I hesitate to go in.

"Look its either this or we keep going till we find another store which might have the stuff we need, and we are running extremely low on supplies Ben," Michael says. He right, we're running out of food, and we need some rest.

"Fine, but if something is off in there. We run out as fast as we can, understood?" I ask looking and Gina and Michael, they both agree.

"Stay behind me and stay close," I respond. We go around back and slowly enter the mall, I take the lead and poke my head out around corners for any traps. The mall is filled with untouched food. Why hasn't anyone broken in here?

"Okay its clear." I say, Gina walks right past me and heads for the medicine section. Michael bolts for the food aisle and I slowly head to the back. They have two BMI M4A3 Carbine 16's, one Sig saucer M400 and four black OKT 19911 GOV'T pistols. I've held a gun before; my dad uses to make me go shooting with him when he was around. I grabbed one of the Carbines, its heavier form when I last held one. I swore I'd never touch a gun again but if I'm going to protect Michael and Gina, I need to have something on me just in case. I grab 15 packs of ammo for a carbine 16 and stuff them in my bag before anyone can see with the gun. I quickly rushed to the medicals section. I find Gina grabbing medical supplies, I shrug it off and head over to the bandages. As I fill my bag with supplies, I notice Gina sneaking something into her bag. Probably just period stuff, so I'm not going to ask about it.

"Alright, let's go get Michael, "oi call out to Gina as she grabs one last thing off the shelf and heads for the food aisle. We found Michael slouching on the floor, eating a family size bag of chips and slurping down a slushie.

"What the hell Michael? You're supposed to get us food, not eating it all," I exclaim as I rip the bag of chips out of his oily hands. Michael looks up at me in shock.

"Hey, that mine!" Michael calls out as he gets up and tries to reach for the chips, I pull them away from him and before he can try to reach again, I toss the bag into the other aisle.

"Grab some food, put it in your bag and let's get out of here," I demand. He rolls his eyes and heads over to the next aisle. I glance over at Gina and see her sitting down studying a light jacket.

"Nice jacket, where'd you find it?" I ask sitting next to her.

"Found it when I was looking through the medical aisle, along with this" she responds as she pulls out a pistol from her bag.

"Someone was here, question is. Where did they go?" I say as she hides the gun in her bag. She shakes her head and heads over to the clothing aisle.

"Where are you going?" I call out.

"I can't wear these rags you call clothes forever, can I?" she responds. I quickly got up and caught up to her, heading towards the clothes.