PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE
HIRAETH

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

hiraeth.
a homesickness for a home you cannot return to, or that never was.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Life was cruel, but the World was crueler.

That's what the King of the Koopas thought as he stared at the young girl standing before him, her innocent eyes shining withbrilliance. She couldn't have been more than two years old, oblivious to the dangers surrounding her.

"How did such a small human end up in this treacherous place?" Bowser muttered softly to himself, his gaze fixed on the toddler. His domain was anything but child-friendly. A moat of scorching lava encircled his imposing castle, and the rugged terrain of the surrounding area offered little respite. And yet, this tiny human with (h/c) hair had managed to wander up to his doorstep, unscathed.

Bowser had never encountered a tiny human up close before. In fact, he didn't even know it was possible for humans to be this tiny! He was utterly captivated. "Were you separated from your family?" he asked, his voice tinged with sympathy. His expression saddened, "Or perhaps... you were abandoned."

The young toddler couldn't comprehend his words, but she continued to gaze at him, her curiosity mirrored his own. Bowser gently scooped her up, cradling her in his powerful arms, in order to study her more closely. "Strange..."

In response to being held by Bowser, the toddler erupted into fits of laughter, eliciting a smile from the Koopa King. "You're undeniably adorable, that's for sure," he remarked playfully. "Maybe I should keep you for myself! I'm certain you'd make a remarkable minion someday."

Bowser's smile widened as the young girl's laughter and giggles filled the air, prompting him to chuckle softly. "Well, I suppose that settles it." He tenderly held the little girl, his gaze filled with warmth and affection. "I suppose it's time to give you a name, isn't it?" he mused, not expecting a response. "How about [name]?" he suggested, earning an even more gleeful giggle from the toddler. "Haha, [name] it is!" he declared, his heart swelling with an unexpected tenderness.

★★★

"Dad?" [name] called out to Bowser, her voice tinged with vulnerability. Bowser had just finished tucking her in for the evening, but there was a question that had been gnawing at her for quite some time. Her words immediately captured his attention, his eyes fixated on her as he kneeled next to her bed, offering a tender smile. "Yes, Princess? Is everything alright?"

The young girl bit her lip nervously, her eyes filled with a mix of curiosity and insecurity. "Why don't I look like everyone else?"

Bowser felt the weight of her question pressing upon him, taken aback by the depth of inquiry emanating from such a young child. He paused for a moment, gathering his thoughts, before gently responding, "Well, [name], you're a human." She huffed in frustration at his obvious statement, crossing her arms in defiance. "I know that, Dad. What I meant was..." Her voice trailed off, her gaze averted as if grappling with the embarrassment of her next question. "Why am I the only human in this Kingdom? Did something happen to the other humans?" Her persistence only heightened Bowser's unease.

Anxious, Bowser tapped his long, pointy claws together. "You see, the reason why there aren't any other humans in this kingdom is because the remaining human population wants nothing more than to...eliminate us. They harbor deep-rooted prejudices against Koopalings, Goombas, and any species that's different from their own. They unfairly blame us for the gradual decline of their own kind," he explained, attempting to simplify the complex truth, fully aware that the harsh realities of the world could be overwhelming for an eight-year-old girl.

Seeking to provide comfort, Bowser gently clasped [name]'s tiny hand in his own, warmth and reassurance emanating from his touch. "The reason why you're different from all the other humans is that we took you in when you were a baby. You hadn't been exposed to the biases and prejudices that exist among humans yet, so you had no intention of causing harm to me or anyone else in this kingdom."

Furrowing her brows, [name] struggled to process Bowser's earlier explanation. "Are you saying that my biological parents abandoned me?"

Bowser hesitated, his words hanging momentarily in the air. He pondered the delicate nature of the situation, searching for the right words to convey his message. "We don't know for certain. It's possible that you accidentally wandered away from your family, getting separated along the way." He offered [name] a sympathetic smile, his eyes conveying compassion. "Regardless of how you ended up here, I can confidently say that you are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I may not be your biological father, but I will always be your dad. Okay, Princess?"

[name] was deeply touched by his words, a soft smile gracing her lips. "Yeah. Biological parents be damned! Who needs them when I've got you?"

A low chuckle escaped Bowser's lips as he playfully furrowed his brow, adopting a stern yet loving tone. "Hey, watch your language." [name] giggled, her heart swelling with affection, as she gave his hand one final loving squeeze before releasing it. Nestling herself under the covers of her oversized bed, she looked up at Bowser with sleepy eyes. "Goodnight, Dad."

Bowser leaned down to place a gentle kiss on her forehead before standing up and making his way toward the bedroom door. As he reached the threshold, he turned back, a warm smile adorning his face as he spoke softly, "Goodnight, Princess. Sweet dreams." With that, he closed the door behind him, leaving [name] to drift into a peaceful slumber, cradled in the knowledge that, despite the cruelties of the world, she was cherished by a father who would always be there for her.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

꒰ short a/n ꒱

this story is loosely based on the Super Mario Movie, and is inspired by Duality by MaraCringe

also for the sake of the plot, the reader is bowser's only child (ie. no bowser jr or any of the other adopted koopalings)

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━