CHAPTER ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN
HIRAETH

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The gentle light of the morning sun seeped through the parted curtains, casting a warm, golden hue that embraced [name]'s room. The walls seemed to bask in its soft glow as [name]'s brown cloak lay elegantly draped over a chair, its rich fabric shimmering in the sunlight. A pair of worn boots rested haphazardly on the floor, remnants of a weary journey. As the melodious symphony of birdsong danced through the air, [name]'s brown eyes fluttered open, gently roused from slumber. Sitting up in bed, she stretched her arms toward the ceiling, feeling the satisfying release of tension as her muscles gradually relaxed. With a yawn, she swung her legs over the edge of the mattress, her bare feet lightly touching the cool floor.

Her eyes caught a glimpse of the baby pink dress delicately draped over the plush chair next to the sunlit window. [name] had lost most of her belongings in the crash landing she and Captain endured, including her clothing. However, Peach took the initiative to have a tailor measure [name]'s size, ensuring she would have new clothes made for her. In the meantime, Peach had generously lent her a collection of her old dresses. It seemed that most, if not all of them, shared a common hue of pink. But [name] didn't mind. She appreciated the simple luxury of having clean clothes to change into after her morning shower.

Growing up, [name] had subconsciously adopted her father's preference for dark colors and brooding aesthetics. Despite being an entirely different species from her adopted father, Kamek, and the other palace servants, they would always remark on how much she resembled Bowser in terms of personality and aesthetics. Highly ambitious, a bit temperamental, and nothing short of fearless, the citizens of the Darklands would describe this father-daughter duo as an indomitable force to be reckoned with.

However, as [name] spent more time away from her home, she learned information about her kingdom that she found difficult to believe, and even harder to accept. It was almost a relief that she had lost all her clothes in the crash, erasing any visible resemblance between her and her father. With a tender touch, she cradled the pink dress in her arms, relishing the softness of the fabric and the elegance of its puffy sleeves before slipping it on. The sight of herself adorned in delicate, soft pinks was both unfamiliar and enchanting. It felt like peering into an unexplored facet of her identity, one that she finally had the freedom to delve into now that she was on her own.

She wandered through the corridors of the palace, her footsteps echoing softly against the tile floors as she sought out the castle's library. Peach had mentioned it in passing during a previous conversation, describing its vast collection of books that held the knowledge of Mushroom Kingdom's rich history, as well as the tales of neighboring kingdoms. [name]'s heart fluttered with anticipation, hoping to find within those hallowed shelves some records of the Darklands. Perhaps, if she was lucky, she may find some books regarding the intricate history between the Mushroom Kingdom and the Darklands.

Lost in her thoughts, [name] was completely oblivious to a presence turning the corner until she collided with them, nearly losing her balance. A strong hand instinctively wrapped around her forearm, preventing her from tumbling to the ground. Shaking her head and blinking in surprise, she hurriedly began apologizing, her words tumbling out in a rush, "I am so sorry! I got so lost in my thoughts I didn't even see you coming!"

A warm chuckle resonated from the person before her as their grip on her arm loosened, allowing them to readjust his iconic green cap. "It happens to the best of us, don't worry about it, [name]," the familiar voice reassured her.