CHAPTER FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
HIRAETH

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Princess Peach loved her role as a princess, dedicating herself to the well-being of her Toad subjects. Though she found fulfillment in her diplomatic responsibilities, the routine sometimes left her yearning for a break from the monotony. Everything changed, however, with the arrival of [name].

From the moment [name] graced the Mushroom Kingdom, an enchanting transformation swept through the palace. Her presence breathed new life into the castle. Even the initially reserved royal staff found themselves warming up to her, discovering newfound joy in their duties. Dull moments became a distant memory in [name]'s company.

This vibrancy manifested once more when [name] burst into the throne room, her unwavering determination demanding attention. Her voice echoed against the robin blue walls, compelling Princess Peach to take notice. Surprised yet amused by the unexpected entrance, the princess gracefully rose from her throne, politely dismissing the guards and diplomats. "Will you give us a few minutes alone?" she requested sweetly, and as they exited, [name] ascended the grand staircase, setting the stage for another lively encounter.

"Princess Peach, I want to ask you something."

[name] sounded nervous. Her lips pressed into a thin line, her brows knitted together, and her facial muscles tense with anxiety. She knew that Her Majesty would not reprimand her harshly if she disagreed with her proposal, but the thought of disappointing the princess still lingered in the back of her mind.

"...I want to train alongside Luigi and Mario."

There was a moment of hesitation before she continued.

"I want to protect this kingdom and its inhabitants against... Bowser and his army," she said, the words my father nearly rolling off her tongue. "I want to fight for what is right; it is the least I can do after all the kindness you and your subjects have shown me."

Princess Peach raised an eyebrow, her baby blue eyes wide with surprise. A warm feeling swelled in her chest as the weight of [name]'s proposal sank in. She had endured so much and could barely remember anything about her past, yet she felt so strongly about the kingdom, willing to protect it alongside its most vigilant heroes. Princess Peach couldn't help but feel honored, if not a tad emotional. "Oh, [name]," she cooed sweetly, "I would be honored to have you on the front lines... but are you absolutely certain? Do you really want to?" Her voice was laced with concern. "Mario and Luigi make defending the kingdom look effortless, but it is not as easy as wiping out a few Goombas and Koopas. I just want to ensure you understand exactly what you are getting yourself into."

[name] felt a wave of nausea at the thought of fighting her kin, her subjects. It felt so wrong. Doubt clouded her mind. Could she really do this without exposing her identity?

She had to. She refused to make the same mistakes her father and his father had made.

"Yes," [name] answered quickly, shoving her doubts deep within. "I know it will be dangerous, but I refuse to sit idly as the chances of war grow greater every day."

Traitor, she thought to herself. How dare you betray your kingdom for the sake of people you've only known for a short while? The Darklands is your home, not the Mushroom Kingdom. What would your father say? If he were truly evil, he would have left you to die the night he found you, yet he didn't. He took you in and raised you as his own, despite the prejudice humans hold against Koopas. 

Perhaps it would have been better if he had left you to die.

No, I'm not a traitor, [name] desperately reasoned with her innermost thoughts. I'm doing this to save the world. To save my kingdom. To save my father from his own greed.

I'm not a traitor... right?

"[name]?" Princess Peach's gentle tap on her shoulder brought her back to reality.

[name]'s gaze focused on Princess Peach's angelic face, an angel whose kindness seemed boundless. If she were to do right by Peach, what she was doing couldn't be wrong. She felt her cheeks grow warmer, sheepish for having zoned out while staring at the princess. "Ah, my apologies, your Highness. I got lost in thought."

Princess Peach simply chuckled, the soft sound like a gentle embrace from a loved one after a long day. [name] briefly thought of her father, the warmth of his embrace. Her laugh sounded like home. "No worries," the princess said, relieved to see that [name] no longer in a daze. "I'll have the Toads make some more appropriate attire for you. Your training starts tomorrow."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

꒰ a/n ꒱

I'M BACK!!

Sorry for disappearing off the face of the Earth for a few months. I had to step away from writing in order to prioritize my mental health and use what energy I did have to focus on my studies so that I don't flunk out of college lmao. I also threw in a little Peach x Reader toward the end there for PRIDE MONTH WOOOO!!! (the royalty x girl-failure sapphic trope is superior).

To be honest, it's been so long since I've touched this story that I kind of have to re-read everything I've written (both published chapters and drafts) to remember the original direction I had for the plot...oops.  

Worry not, though! I feel like we're near the halfway point in terms of the story, which means that things are gonna escalate real soon (uh oh, conflict!!!). I'm not sure when the next chapter will come out, as I want to polish up some of the lore I had planned for this story, but hopefully it will be soon!

Thank you all for waiting so patiently! Your patience and your support means the world to me. 

Until next time!

stweey 🍓

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━