ᶠⁱᵛᵉ

𝐈 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐔𝐏 the party table for Noelani's sixth birthday party. Maddy took Noelani out for the day so I could have time to prepare everything. Her surprise birthday party!

This was Noelani's first birthday without Selene and I had no clue how to plan parties. That was Selene's specialty but Maddy assisted me with party planning.

Right now, Lani is in love with Strawberry Shortcake so I made that her party theme. I also invited Selene's family and my parents.

The backyard was filled with Strawberry Shortcake decorations, I ordered boxes of pizza, a birthday cake, and a few gallons of juice. My parents volunteered to pick up the cake and pizzas for me.

Madison has helped out a lot with Noelani. Lani loved her Aunt Mads and Madison loved her some Noelani too.

____

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to Noelani.. Hapoy Birthday to you. And many more!"

I smiled at her as I spoke, "Now close your eyes, make a wish, and blow out your candle."

She followed my instructions, "I wish mommy was here to celebrate with us," she says out loud as she blew out the number '6' candle.

Everyone said 'aw' as my parents looked over at me, we clapped and cheered for her.

Noelani smiles, looking up at me. "You want a piece of cake Lani Bear," I ask her. She nods. "Yes please."

Maddy clears her throat, "I'll cut all the kids some cake. Who wants cake," she asked.

"Me!"

"I do."

The kids blurted as I chuckled. "I'll help you baby," Mrs. Phyllis, Selene's mom, insisted as she picked up the plastic plates from the table.

"Thank you Mrs. Brown!"

Madison picked up the knife. "Thank y'all," I say.

My mom walks up to me and whispers, "Graham can we talk to you for a minute?"

I nod as my dad joined us. We walk into the house and head to the living room.

"Wow Noelani looks happy doesn't she," she points out.

I nod and smile. "Yes!"

"Glad Selene's family got to make it as well," she adds.

"I know I was praying on this I didn't think I could pull it off," I laugh. I look over at my parents and their faces were filled with seriousness.

"What?"

My mom sat on the couch and sighs.

"Graham how are you able to live like this," my dad asks.

"Like what," I questions. I know how this conversation is gonna go. But why today? Why now?

My mom clears her throat before speaking, "What Steven means to say is how are you able to take care of somebody else's child so easily without any anger towards the parents that left her?"

"Because that's my daughter too—"

"But biologically she's not Graham!"

I chuckled, getting a little irritated. This was supposed to be a special day for Lani. My daughter. And they want to have a conversation about this right now especially with the mother's family being right outside in the yard. "How can you abandon a child just because they're not biologically related to you? She had a mother and she passed away—"

"Sweetie that girl killed herself and left you with a little girl that she claimed she loved. That's not love at all that's pure hatred."

I shake my head. "Nope I'm not about to have this conversation with you guys— not right now... Selene's parents are outside and you're talking about their daughter," I say in a calm tone.

"Graham you continue to defend her after she left you with her responsibility! She obviously didn't care about neither of you," my dad yells.

"She has a father she can go to," my mom chimes in.

I released a deep sigh. "One, she was my girlfriend the love of my life and she became depressed. Two, that little girl outside became my responsibility when I started dating her mother and I will never regret taking on the father role for her! I love and enjoy every moment with her. I'd rather her be with me than her abusive biological father. If you're gonna judge or talk down on her or her mother, you don't have to be in her life," I raised my voice.

It grew silent and you could feel the tension.

"And this will be the last time we discuss this. You either accept and love her or miss out on your granddaughter's life," I add.

I exhaled a long sigh as I walked out the house. I headed back over to the table.

Noelani and the kids were now eating cake. "Gam want some," Lani asked, holding up her fork with a piece of strawberry cake on it.

I shake my head, smiling. "I'll get some later baby you enjoy your cake," I say.

I turned and Maddy was staring at me with a concerned look. I smile as Mrs. Phyllis walks over to me, "Graham I appreciate everything you've done for both my babies! Selene would always call about this little white boy that did this for her, did that for her, and—"

Her voice cracked as she sighs. "She spoke highly of you every time and I believe God brought you into her life to show her what true love was! And to be an influence for Noelani because I can tell she loves you," she spoke.

I nod, listening to her. Mrs. Phyllis welcomed me into her home with no hesitation. I will always be grateful for this lady because me and her husband didn't get along in the beginning.

"Thank you for taking care of NiNi because you did not have to carry on such a huge responsibility," she assured me.

I smiled and said, "I couldn't leave her even if I wanted to. She's one of the best things that's happened to me."

Mrs. Phyllis just smiled before she pulled me into a hug.

____
𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵. 𝘷𝘰𝘵𝘦. 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘦.