ˢᵉᵛᵉⁿ

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐇𝐀𝐌 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐑 in front of Hall County Middle School. Aunt Maddy went to work earlier so Graham had to drop off Dylan and Cadence at school. "Have a good day at school kids," he tells us, looking back at us.

Dylan opened the passenger side door and got out. Cadence opened the back door and got out, I followed behind her. "See you later Gam," I say.

"Thank you Uncle Graham!"

"Bye Uncle Graham."

Graham waved at them and says, "And Noelani let me know if anybody starts any shit with you okay?"

I smile and nod, "Yes sir." I step out of the car.

"Alright I love you have fun I'll see y'all at lunch," he tells me.

"I love you too!" One of my teachers walked over, greeting me. "Good morning Noelani!" She waved at Graham as I closed the car door behind me and walk onto the sidewalk. "Good morning Mrs. Ansley," I answer.

I walk towards the entrance of the school with Dylan and Cadence. "Lani don't let anybody talk to any kind of way ok? I'm only a few halls down if you need me," Dylan offers.

"Yea me too I'm on the same hall," Cadence adds.

I smile weakly at them, "Thanks I'll be fine," I lied. I absolutely hated school and people made it their job to pick on me about my family issues and my skin color.

We got to the entrance and Dylan held the door open for us. Cadence and I thanked him before walked into the building.

"I'll see y'all later," Dylan says.

I wave at him, "Bye."

Dylan headed towards his left and Cadence and I went the opposite direction. "I wish we had the same homeroom class I hate leaving you by yourself," Cadence states.

I sigh, heart racing. "It's ok I can take care of myself," I tell her.

"I know but they do too much when it comes to you and it's always for a stupid reason."

I shrug as we reach my homeroom class, Mr. Henson. "Cadence I'm gonna be alright I'll see you at lunch," I assure her.

Cadence stares at me before smiling, "Okay see you later Lani," she says as I step into the classroom. I notice, Mr. Henson, isn't in here.

I don't have any friends so I spend most of my time alone in middle school besides my cousins, Dylan and Cadence, hanging with me.

I passed by my classmates and went all the way to the back of the class, sitting in my regular seat away from everybody. I took out my notebook and pencil, setting it on my desk. Scanning through the pages of my notebook to an empty page when I hear, "Um who let her sit here?"

My heart begins to race noticing it was Olivia. I tried to ignore her, hoping she was talking to someone else. Then a bag was tossed on my desk causing me to jump.

The students laughed at her action. I look up and she's standing over me, "You can get up now... I literally sit here everyday," she lies.

I shake my head and sighs, "I'm always sitting here Olivia and you're over—"

"Well I wanna sit here today so move."

I raise an eyebrow and she stomps her foot on the ground. "You think you are so special because your dad is white," she yells out.

I look down, trying not to cry. "No I don't I didn't ask for that," I say quietly.

"Huh," she asks, getting closer to me.

Olivia moves her bag off my desk and sets it on the floor, "Your mom tried to get away from you and I see why," she states.

"That's not true—"

"Yes it is and my mom told me so!"

I sigh as I refuse to look at Olivia. "If she wanted you she would be alive now—"

I got up and pushed her down. "Stop talking about my family!"

Olivia gasps as she looks up at me. Our classmates were laughing and whispering to each other. "I haven't did anything and you keep talking about my mom," I say.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?! Pushing me down like that," she yells, getting up slowly.

"You are literally a charity case... you have no real family and nobody loves you!" I charged at Olivia and sent a blow to her face.

I was tired of her talking like she knew my family and what we went through. "Stop. Stop!" I sat on top of Olivia as I continued punching her.

"Get. Off. Me. Help!"

"Hey! Hey! Ms. Brown, Ms. Stanford," I heard Mr. Henson yelling. "We need security and the principal down here!"

Before I could hit her again, I felt someone pulling me off her. I kicked my legs, trying to get back to her, "Let me go," I yelled.

I felt tears rolling down my face and watched as a few of our classmates helped Olivia off the floor.

"Let me go! Please let me go!"

"Ms. Brown stop now," Mr. Henson says.

I was put outside waiting for the principal. "What's gotten into you," Mr. Henson asked me outside in the hallway.

I stayed quiet.

"Ms. Brown you just cause a disruption in my class and you aren't trying to talk to me—"

"You weren't in there you don't know what she said. Can I go call my dad please?"

I look over to my right and Principal Harris is walking towards us. Mr. Henson huffed, "I left Ms. Sanford in the class... I don't know what's going on but she's asking to call her dad," he explains to our Principal.

Principal Harris nods, looking down at me. "Ok come with me Noelani and Henson sent Olivia to the nurse's office," he orders.

I pick up my book bag and walked towards the office. I don't want to talk to any of our school's administrators because everytime I "cause a scene" nothings ever done about the person who bullies me.

____

"My daughter complains about kids picking on her everyday and y'all continue to do nothing about the situation! I'm sick and tired of it," Graham states to the Principal.

Principal Harris nods his head, "I understand your frustration but that does not excuse her disruption this morning... if she feels threatened she came walk away and come to us and express her concerns," he tells him.

Graham was silent and stared at my Principal. "She got twelve year old kids throwing shit at her and saying she doesn't have a family. Everytime I'm called up here nothing happens to them! The one time she fights back and she's getting expelled— I've never seen one of those kids get suspended," Graham says.

"Sir please refrain from using that kinda language in here—"

"When my daughter is being mistreated I can talk however I want— You know what, I want to get her out this school. She doesn't have to keep dealing with any of you!"

Principal sighed and says, "Yes sir we can get all that done... I am so sorry we couldn't work out a solution for this."

Graham ignores him, "Dumb ass rules.. I have to leave from my job to do y'all jobs for y'all and still never get any results," he talks to himself.

____
𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵. 𝘷𝘰𝘵𝘦. 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘦.