-/Chapter 9\-

As the first light of dawn broke through the fog-covered territory, Northkit woke up to the damp and cold air. It had rained throughout the night, leaving a thick blanket of mist enveloping everything around her. Being an early riser, she noticed that the sun was just beginning to rise, its golden rays piercing through the misty veil.

Heading towards the entrance, Northkit shivered from the chill in the air. The fog persisted, a reminder that Greenleaf was soon coming to an end. Sitting at the entrance, she watched as the elders, Ashthistle and Fallowtree, emerged from their den to bury a fallen warrior. Her mother joined them, and together they vanished into the mist.

As Northkit sat there, she listened to the sounds surrounding her. The snores of sleeping cats, the cheerful chirping of a Blackpoll Warbler, and the gentle gusts of wind. Suddenly, she heard soft paw steps, familiar and delicate like those of a young kitten. With a knowing smile, she called out, "I know you're there, Echokit. You won't spook me this time."

Echokit appeared, a dark blue tom kit, and muttered, "Didn't know you could be so intimidating." Northkit pretended not to hear his comment, but curiosity got the better of her. Turning to face him, her silver coat glowed in the sun's warm light. "Say that again?" she challenged him playfully.

"I didn't say anything," Echokit lay, though Northkit saw through his attempt. Taking it as a compliment, she simply replied, "Oh mouse whisker, I made my older brother a scared mouse!" Their banter flowed as they sat together, their eyes fixed on the mist-shrouded landscape.

Suddenly, Echokit asked, "Have you seen Mom?" Northkit's expression turned worried. "Uh, yeah...?" she responded, her tone laced with concern. Remembering Cloudpuddle's words about Mistleleap, she couldn't help but shiver. "I think saw her heading to the burial with the elders and some other cats."

"I hope she can recover soon," Northkit sighed, her gaze returning to her brother. Echokit reassured her, pressing his muzzle against her flank affectionately. "Mom is strong, she'll recover," he said, comforting her. Losing a dear feline friend took an emotional toll, even though they had not known Mistleleap that much, but it was especially when they had known each other since their kittenhood days.

Together, they sat in the quiet mist, finding solace in each other's presence. The bond between siblings grew stronger as they faced the challenges that lay ahead, supporting one another through the highs and lows of their journey.