Chapter 6

"Richard let her sleep" I said as I cut fruit on a plate for Mia. "Here honey."

"But I want her to see her present."

Today was Vera's first birthday, and Richard wanted to wake her up so she could see the present we had bought. He seemed more excited than anyone.

It was barely 7 am, Mia was eating breakfast to go to school. Vera didn't wake up until 10am but Richard wanted to wake her up anyway, last night after 12am he also wanted to wake her up to give her present but I stopped him. "Fine, go, but then she'll be upset all day" He smiled and went upstairs.

"He's acting like a child" Mia said laughing.

"I know...finish your breakfast so I can comb your hair" Richard came down the stairs with Vera in his arms as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"The birthday girl" he said happily.

"Good morning, my love. Happy birthday" I said for her, Vera stirred in her father's arms.

"Happy birthday baby Vera" said Mia.

"Pa" Vera said looking at Richard, and he left a kiss on her little nose.

"Do you want to see your present?" She nodded. "Okay, come on. Mia come you too" They left to open Vera's gift which was a doll and for Mia we had given her something too, so there would be no jealousy between them.

♡♡♡

After dropping Mia off at school, I went home to have breakfast with Richard. He had Vera sitting on his lap as he fed her apple mush.

"Did you take your pill, Richard?" I asked, he nodded his head without paying much attention to me. "Did you or didn't you?"

"Yes," he said reluctantly. "Why is your mother so annoying, Vera?" I heard him whisper to the baby.

"I'm not annoying, it's just that the other day you lied to me and said you took it."

"I forgot to take the pill that day."

"How could you forget?"

"Forget it, Leyla" "Look... we'll show you something Vera learned to do" He wiped the baby's mouth and took her in his arms to come closer to me.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Do nose, Baby" Richard said. "Do nose" Vera wrinkled her nose. "Yess, so beautiful. Do nose for mommy" And the baby did the same again.

"Thats so cute, baby" I said stroking Vera's cheek.

"Did you see? My baby is so smart" Richard said leaving a kiss on her cheek.

"She is. Have you had breakfast yet?"

"No, I was waiting for you" Today being Vera's birthday I wasn't going to work, neither was Richard, we had asked for the day off.

I poured Richard his coffee and made one for myself as well. I took Vera in my arms so Richard could have a quiet breakfast, but she started fidgeting annoyingly, throwing a tantrum. "Hey why don't you want to be with mommy?"

Vera began to cry and stretch her arms in Richard's direction as she pouted. "Da," she said.

Richard put his toast aside and took Vera in his arms. He tickled her little tummy and the baby started giggling. "She's absolutely a daddy's girl," I said.

"Of course she is. She loves her daddy" "When you left, Ruth called me and told me she arrives at noon."

"Your mother is coming too?" He nodded. "Good."