Midnight Rain

He was sunshine, I was midnight rain

He wanted it comfortable

I wanted that pain.
*
*
*
*
Karla woke up just after 6am. It had been another rough night for her. Tossing and turning before drifting off to sleep a little after 2am.

Realizing she wasn't going to be able to fall back asleep she got up to start her day.

The silence that encompassed her felt too loud. Normally the sound of paws padding on the floor would follow her as she made her way to the kitchen.

Karla filled the tea kettle with water before setting it on the stove to boil. She took out her favorite tea that he introduced her to. Earl Grey.

The memory of him was everywhere in the house. Their pictures still in frames, the dog bed by the fireplace, the quilt his mom knitted for them. The sweater he left on the couch. Everything that reminded her that she made a mistake.

When he started talking about marriage Karla had started to pull away.

It's not that she was against marriage it's just that she'd never been around a successful one. Her parents divorced when she was 7 years old. After that she had to witness both her patents parade different men and women in and out of her life. Her dad had remarried three times. Each marriage was shorter than the last.

From then on, the idea of marriage left a sour taste in Karla's mouth.

When Karla started dating Tom Hiddleston, she didn't know they would become serious so quickly.

She didn't expect to fall in love with him. It was supposed to be just a fling during filming. But as they got to know each other more it turned into something bigger than she ever imagined.

But all good things come to an end eventually.

Tom first approached the subject of marriage as they lay in bed. After that Karla slowly started to distance herself from him.

Then the arguments began.

Tom held out hope for as long as he could. Ultimately, he lost all hope and ended things.

Now three months later and Karla was struggling to function.

Flashbacks of her time with Tom constantly played on loop in her mind. Every day she would type out a message and then delete it.

What if he moved on already? The thought alone made her sick to her stomach.

Why couldn't she see that the idea of marriage wasn't so scary when she pictured herself marrying Tom.

She needed to win him back.

The premiere of their movie was in a few weeks. As she sat on the couch drinking her tea, she started to devise a plan to show him she was ready for marriage.